Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Let's talk Sous Vide

Options
I received the Anova unit for Christmas. I'm going to give it a whirl this evening since it's pouring outside. Can I use the clamp on the stainless part or does it have to be clamped to the black section? I don't want to use a huge pot for a single filet. Any other pro tips that I need to know about? Thoughts, comments, and pertinent advice appreciated. 

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I received the Anova unit for Christmas. I'm going to give it a whirl this evening since it's pouring outside. Can I use the clamp on the stainless part or does it have to be clamped to the black section? I don't want to use a huge pot for a single filet. Any other pro tips that I need to know about? Thoughts, comments, and pertinent advice appreciated. 

The clamp can be on the stainless part, just make sure water is at least covering the "Min" line and make sure it stays covered. However, in that pot there, I would lower it down all the way, it doesn't matter if it is sitting on the bottom of the pot.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    Thanks @DMW Do I need to put some foil over the top to retain heat? 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Nice Christmas score brother Double!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Thanks @DMW Do I need to put some foil over the top to retain heat? 
    No, you don't need to for a short cook like steaks or chops. If you are going for a long cook, it is common to cover. Not really for heat retention, but to prevent evaporation.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Tbent
    Tbent Posts: 225
    Options
    No need to cover it with foil for a fairly short cook like a filet. 
    L, S, MM, Mini
    Washington, IL
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    edited December 2015
    Options

@DoubleEgger   there's somthin' just not rite..'bout "boiled" steaks or chops....hells bells...next thing ya' know you be eatn' them thar' "boiled peanuts" instead of dry roasted...

WHAT'S this world (and forum) coming to...I keep thinking you mis-spelled "SUI" like calling hogs....but no.....it used to be about Lump Charcoal

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• DoubleEgger
    Options
    Don't be knocking boiled peanuts @bcsnave !  I figure sous vide will work for rainy days and reheating leftovers. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I did some turkey breasts on Thanksgiving, side by side to compare with a normally egged bird.  Game over man.  Game over.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • DoubleEgger
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I'm not picking up what you're putting down @JohnInCarolina . Which one won? 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    And why?
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    The SV breasts were miles better.  Incredibly moist, perfectly cooked.
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    Did you sear/grill to finish?
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Yep.  Seared on the CI pan on the Egg.
  • Grillmagic
    Options
    Yep.  Seared on the CI pan on the Egg.
    Thanks
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,944
    edited December 2015
    Options
    To be clear, I had to do this out of necessity.  We had a huge group over for Thanksgiving, and the turkey from the one bird wasn't going to cut it.   So I figured why not try sous vide on some boneless breasts just to make sure I had enough food?  I'm glad I did, because the difference was very clear.

What you get with this is moisture and consistency, and meat that is basically as dialed in and uniformly cooked as it gets.  What you miss is much of any smoke flavor, plus all the other things you get with a whole bird.

In my (very limited!) experience with SV so far, I will say that the cooks that are the most fun combine the SV with a BGE finish.  That is the way I do spares now and I'll never go back.  Next time I do turkey breasts this way I might let them cool and then heat up and finish in the BGE to get more smoke.  Lots of combinations to explore.
  • Grillmagic
    Options
    SV re heats everything very well and as you mentioned it works great with all poultry .
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina @DMWDo you know of some online resources where I can further expand my knowledge base for sous vide cooking? 
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina @DMWDo you know of some online resources where I can further expand my knowledge base for sous vide cooking? 
    Try this guy:

http://www.seriouseats.com/sous_vide_101/
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    I must say. This thing is pretty solid. 

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    And that is the best thing about cooking sous vide - reliable, repeatable, perfectly cooked results.

The second best thing about it you just press "Start" and go off and do other things and it won't matter if you decide to play the back nine and get home an hour or two late. Still just fine!
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• bgebrent
    Options

Solid or better than reverse sear or sear/roast?
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    I got one for xmas too.. My old school MIL is dumbfounded.  I boiled eggs, she about shrt herself when it took 45 minutes.  

I want to do..

Short ribs
    Turkey breast
    Pork lion
    Soups - cream of celery, or potato
    Barbacoa
    Beef stew

In general, I want to do a good osso bucco. 

Ps - I gave the inova app 1 star.. No wifi support for android, but exists for iOS!  What is this, 2013?
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    bgebrent said:

Solid or better than reverse sear or sear/roast?
    I wouldn't say better than seared but I'm still a newbie with this. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    The steak looks perfect DoubleEgger.  

In my limited experience, I wouldn't say a SV steak is necessarily better than reverse sear.  RS has an advantage because you are adding smoke flavor during the roast.  Like @HeavyG said though the beautiful part about SV is it is foolproof.  If you are not sure what time everyone is going to be home for dinner, or if you have steaks of varying thickness they are all cooked to a perfect temp (granted you don't overcook during the sear).  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @DoubleEgger
    Congrats on the gift and great looking steak for sure.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bgebrent
    Options
    SGH said:
    @DoubleEgger
    Congrats on the gift and great looking steak for sure.  
    That does look delicious my friend!  Looking forward to hearing more.
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
     @DoubleEgger nice looking steak my friend :)

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• cmac610
    cmac610 Posts: 150
    Options
    Got mine arriving from Brown Santa today. Thanks for the post @DoubleEgger as I'm even more excited to fire it up. Btw...lots of good Sous Vide videos on YouTube as well.
    Craig aka Cmac Cooks
    Amesbury, MA
    #BGETeamGreen #TeamArteflame #TeamBarrelProof
    XL BGE, Mini-Max, La Caja China, Arteflame Classic 40, Arteflame One 20, Arteflame Euro 20, Cotton Gin Harvester, Weber Classic, Gozney Dome, Anova wifi Sous Vide.
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    My wife got one from Santa this Christmas.  She does not know anything about it yet.  Going to try and have her try it out later this week on some chicken breasts or pork chops.

Garnerville, NY