Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Unexpected guests, 2 different size prime rib roasts...

Options
So my brother-in-law's Mom and her husband are unexpectedly joining us for prime rib dinner this evening. I originally had a 7 and 1/2 pound roast, but with the extra mouths I figured I better get a little more so went back to the market and got a nearly 4 pound roast.  

Do I start them at the same time? Or should I put the larger one first and the 4 pounder on a little later.  I typically do prime rib around 300* indirect til done. Thanks for any insight ladies and gents. 
I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    With roasts once the length exceeds the diameter the cook time is about the same.  I would venture that the 4 lb roast doesn't quite measure up against the 7+ lb one.  Here's a link to an article that should provide more insights:
    http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/beef-standing-rib-roast-prime-rib.html 
    Enjoy the cook and eats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Length doesn't matter so much, it is thickness. (Man, that sounds disgusting doesn't it?) 
    Hit the amazing ribs site to see why a two rib roast will cook in a very similar tile to a 5 rib roast - it has to do with the diameter of the rib eye, not the length. 
    Bottom line, you can coo them together if they are the same diameter. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Is the short one longer than it is thick? If so, cooking time will be about the same, larger will take just a bit longer. Are they about the same dimensions, just one is shorter I guess is the better way to ask.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    Thanks @lousubcap that's exactly what I was looking for. Belated Merry Christmas and early Happy New Year to you and yours. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    here's a pic on the ping pong table.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    edited December 2015
    Options
    My experience is based on 250*F on the dome and I will generally see around 25 mins/lb up to the length/diameter deal. I would give the larger one a head-start (never had the pleasure of wrestling with this  challenge ;) .  Base the start time on the larger one and then I'm guessing the smaller one will run pretty true to the X minutes/lb for 300*F (17-20 mins or so???) so use that as a guide for when to start it.
    But I could be all hosed here- just pull each when you hit your finish temp and enjoy.  And a belated Merry Christmas to you.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    Oh I'm sure it will be fabulous, just lit the Egg, dinner in 3 hours 40 minutes so we will see how it goes, thanks again for the thoughts guys.