Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs - Raised Direct, Probe

Options
SteveWPBFL
SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
edited December 2015 in EggHead Forum
I've had my Egg for four years now and struggled with ribs (spare, baby) much of that time using indirect CGS, car wash mike, bend test, low and slow, turbo, marinate, sauce last ten minutes, yada.

For the past three or four times though I've used the following method with great success. Put rub on ribs day before and marinate in fridge overnight. Don't bother pulling the membrane. Next day set the Egg for CGS raised direct, pick your smoke, put 3-4 chunks mixed in under the middle. Light the Egg with a fire starter and once it finishes set the bottom vent open about an eight of an inch and stabilize the Egg about 225F. 

Throw the ribs on meat side up and insert a temp probe monitor in a meaty section between some rib bones. Let 'em ride for an hour and then open the vent a little and stabilize the Egg to 275-300F and let 'em ride some more until the rib temp hits 200F. Pull the ribs, cool, cut, and serve. Takes less than three hours.

This simple set up and method has become my go to. The ribs have been consistently juicy, tender, and flavorful. And so I wanted to throw it on the table here for comments. Goo Goo Ga Joob!

Comments