Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Christmas Pork

Options
DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
Well, seems like everyone else is eating beef today. Here we celebrated the freedom from Jewish dietary law that forbid the eating of the glorious pig.

Rack of pork I dried overnight in the fridge.

Coated with Dizzy Pig Mediterranean-ish on the XL indirect at 350*

About 2 hours to hit 138*.

Rested for a bit while we got the sides on the table and then sliced.

Had my folks over for lunch, here's everyone except me, I was taking the picture.

After lunch, got stuff cleaned up and then re-filled the XL with lump and cherry & oak wood. Thought this made for a cool shot of bad smoke.

Once it cleared, temps got stable, and there was a break in the games we were playing, I tossed a couple butts on the XL for a family reunion tomorrow. Didn't get any pics because it was starting to rain again.

My folks had to leave to get stuff ready for tomorrow. My sister and her family were on the way, so I got the Hasty Bake fired with lump and few cherry wood chunks. Needed something to cook the sausage on. Started on the indirect side, finished direct. No outside pics, stupid rain.

Here's a random shot of bread I baked today and we were snacking on before supper.

I did cook some peppers/onions on the stove in bacon grease.

A shot of the sausage after some had been snagged.

All homemade I did a few weeks ago. Sweet Italian on the left, boudin in center, hot Italian top right, something I made up, bottom right.

Here's my sandwich, hot Italian with onions/peppers, and mustard.

I hope everyone is having a very Merry Christmas with family and friends. Hug those you can, and say a prayer for those you can't.

They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Holy swine parts!  Looks like a great day!
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Nice as a,always @DMW !

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    It all looks very delicious Dwayne, but where's the money shot?   The sliced face of pork chop?
    Options
    It all looks very delicious Dwayne, but where's the money shot?   The sliced face of pork chop?
    Sorry, somehow missed the money shot. Once the food was on the table and everyone was eating and talking, picture taking didn't seem all that important.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I'm just bustin' yer jingle bells.  Nice job my friend. (although I think some parts didn't happen ;) )
    Options
    DMW said:
     Here we celebrated the freedom from Jewish dietary law that forbid the eating of the glorious pig.

I ignore laws that I don't agree with. Especially when it comes to eating =)
    On a serious note, what a awesome spread my friend. Hope that you had a great Christmas. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Nice!   Thanks for sharing that.  Looks great.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • DMW
    Options
    Rain has subsided and I went out to take a pic of the butts.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    SGH said:
    DMW said:
     Here we celebrated the freedom from Jewish dietary law that forbid the eating of the glorious pig.

I ignore laws that I don't agree with. Especially when it comes to eating =)
    On a serious note, what a awesome spread my friend. Hope that you had a great Christmas. 

Well said brother!  

@DMW, looking good all around.  Merry Christmas.  

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Indeed great looking food. Enjoy! 
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    That rack of pork is my favorite, I have been doing a ton of them..Your cook and pics are awesome. Thanks for sharing. You have a lovely family..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • DMW
    Options
    Pork butts done, headed to a family reunion.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• SmokingPiney
    Options
    Looks like you had a most excellent day of cooking and family.  :)
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,515
    Options
    Nice spread and family! 
    canuckland