Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SRF Prime Rib Dinner

As promised here's my Christmas Dinner.  Here's the first 2 posts:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1190154/srf-prime-rib-timing-question

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1190209/srf-prime-rib-prep-day

Here's the roast right before it went on the grill:

Here it is went it went on.  It went on at 225 grate temp.  I used some Jack Daniels chips, indirect.  

I used a DIGIQ on ramp mode to 140.  I pulled it at 135.  This took 4.25 hours to hit 135 in ramp mode.  I noted it hit 125 after 2 hours.  Ramp mode kicked in and it took another 2.25 hours to hit 135.  

Exterior seemed pretty hard.  I wanted to see what a sear would do to it.  I seared at 500 direct for 1 minute per side.  And the last side was the fat cap on top and that only went 30 seconds when flare up kicked in.

Here's the finished product.  It was too 'rare' for everybody except myself and my brother.  As expected.  I had the cast iron ready to go to give a nice sear on each side for everyone else.  Literally a minute a side to take the pink away and it was still the same color inside and they were fine with it.  Pretty funny.

This was worth every penny.  So tender.  My dad said it very tender and juicy.  So good he didn't need any au jus.  My mom said it was better than any filet she's had in a nice restaurant.  That's good I guess?  Really everyone raved about it.  Even the wife and kids loved it.  I would order this again in a heartbeat.  Single piece on the plate is the end.  That's what I ate.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
[I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

Comments