Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can an XL stand up to a 50 mph wind gust?

Options
I am ready to place a 9.2 lb pork butt on the egg.

Comments

• Eggingaround
    Options
    My large has been in some heavy wind here in TX with no issues. If you can maybe push it to an area that might have some shelter from the wind
    Mckinney, TX
    LBGE--AR with Rig extender 
    Mini Max
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Yes.  Just make sure it can't roll away.  Good luck with the butt! 
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Eggingaround
    Options
    I also have links of chain wrapped around the wheels on the nest to help keep it from rolling or sliding. Best of luck with the cook!
    Mckinney, TX
    LBGE--AR with Rig extender 
    Mini Max
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Its on corner of our deck with the nest wheels locked.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    If it's on a deck, you should be able to tie it down through the spaces between the boards.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Make sure you position your egg where the bottom door is out of the direct wind or you'll play hell maintaining temp
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Egged in TS so...ya you're fine. Temp control is or can be challenging. See above. ^^^
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • dstearn
    Options
    Egged in TS so...ya you're fine. Temp control is or can be challenging. See above. ^^^
    I am using the CyberQ and Pit Viper so it should block the wind on the vent. Oh by the way, my platesetter fell down as I was leaning it against my storage container. One of the legs broke off but I was able to improvise.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Adapt. Improvise. Overcome. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    And call Ceramic Grill Store tomorrow...
  • dstearn
    Options
    And call Ceramic Grill Store tomorrow...
    I may just do that. What I had to do was place the broken leg in first to balance the rest of the PS. I place the Butt on the BGE raised grid. It is holding the temp steady so I should be good for a 16 hr cook.
  • CoMoBGE
    CoMoBGE Posts: 374
    Options
    There isn't a problem with xl blowing away. As long as the feet on the nest are locked mine has taken 75+ mph winds with no problems. My dads large has been through a couple twisters(sitting on cinder blocks) and has survived. 
  • dstearn
    Options

Even with the broken plate setter and 50 MPH wind gusts the temp with the Cyber Q has remained steady at 225 all night. It has been 10 hrs and the internal temp is 168. We will not be serving until 7-8 hours from now so I have plenty of time before FTC.
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    An angle grinder with a masonry blade will turn your plate setter into a pizza stone.  Or, add a spider to your order and your trimmed down plate setter resumes work as an indirect stone.

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    If you wanted to invent something designed to ignore a 50mph wind, it would be something short, heavy and round 

you are fine

I have never had wind cause a problem with temps, including during a nor'easter
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Little Steven
    Options
    With a ten pound butt on it

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Jeepster47
    Options
    If you wanted to invent something designed to ignore a 50mph wind, it would be something short, heavy and round 

you are fine ...

@Darby_Crenshaw ... you are talking about dstearn's egg aren't you?

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    I was talking about steven
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Little Steven
    Options
    You can be so cruel, even on Christmas night.

Steve 

Caledon, ON