Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

THANK YOU. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

Shane PMed me to get my address, and I was speechless, beyond words. But I wanted to wait until it arrived before saying anything, so I could include a picture Eggers of the forum, thank you. This is beyond anything we could have expected. 

A ten pound standing rib roast and Mary Joan's favorite: hot dogs. I'm telling you this right now: you know you married the right woman when she loves your barbecue, and also loves a good hot dog!  

She he wants to wait until after her surgery, the 30th, and before chemotherapy to make it; she is afraid of what chemo will do to her sense of taste, and wants to have good thoughts going in. So I'm thinking second week of January. I will post the cook up as l do it.

Thank you!

Comments

• Sonny3
    Sonny3 Posts: 455
    Looks like some good eats right there. 

Really sorry to hear that your wife is going through some issues.  I truly hope that this holiday season and the coming year brings you and your wife peace and success with her treatments.

I have been where you are with my late wife.  And been there myself with treatments since 2009.

My best to you and your family.
    Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    That's really cool. Hope everything goes well and enjoy the good food.
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night.

First class move @SRFShane !
  • EggDan
    EggDan Posts: 174
    Class act... Well done. 
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    It's that kind of generosity that makes people want to do business with a man like Shane.
    That is a very nice gesture indeed. :)  

XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I hope all goes well for your wife. There are a lot of good people on this forum for sure. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564

Wishing you and your wife all the best.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    Wow. What a wonderful way to make someone feel better. I love this forum!! 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Class act all the way around.  @Mosca - Wishing your wife and you all the very best throughout. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,024
    God bless your wife, you and your entire family @Mosca.  Prayers heading your way.  
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Awesome. This is what the community is all about right here. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    This might sound crazy, but hear me out.

my bet friend went through radiation and chemo in highschool. And he completely lost his appetite. The doctors gave him medicine to make him hungry, but it stopped working after a while.

so he did what society has refused to allow in Florida. He smoked Marijuana. Not only was his appetite back. His pain was reduced.

in no way am I advocating that people be able to smoke it recreationally. Nor do I smoke it. But it has some amazing medical purposes.

long story short. If your wife experiences the same loss of appetite, and the medicine doesn't work. It's something to consider.

sorry to hear about her situation. And I am always rooting for people to beat cancer. I have a livestrong tattoo on my arm.

i hope yall enjoy that SRF meat! I've been wanting to try it mysef!
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    @Mosca I'll be praying for your wife's recover as well as your r strength thru this situation. Godspeed. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    Oh man. Thank you all again so much. Mary Joan's surgery is tomorrow at 9:45AM. It should last about 90 minutes. When I get a chance I'll post an update. I have a room rented near the hospital, I'll be staying overnight a couple nights, and our daughter (who lives out of the country) is here for a while, and she'll be helping out as well. 

Stovelad, it doesn't sound crazy to me, I was a real head case in the '70s and don't mind sharing that. But to her, that would be like asking her to shoot nails into her head. She doesn't drink, I can't even use wine or beer to cook anything that she will eat. In some ways we are complete misfits!

Shane, thank you again. We had the hot dogs for dinner tonight. They are GREAT. Hot dogs are one of our favorite foods, a great hot dog is transcendent. I served them with yellow mustard, chopped onion, and home made pickled jalapeños, aka "cowboy candy". The rib roast, that will be in January, after the surgery but before the chemotherapy, she is worried about appetite and wants to have good food memories going in. 
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    god speed on her recovery!
  • Prayers lifted for a successful surgery tomorrow and speedy recovery. 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    If her appetite sucks/lots of nausea and conventional treatment isn't working, ask about Marinol, which is synthetic whacky tabacky developed for AIDS patients and ones undergoing chemo to improve appetite and prevent weight loss. Might be a little more palatable than asking her to hotbox the living room. Don't break the cipher!
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    @MOSCA you are in our prayers

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Praying for a successful surgery and chemo treatment.   Also, a great act of benevolence on the part of SRF.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • SRFShane
    SRFShane Posts: 155
    Thinking about you guys this morning @Mosca  and sending positive thoughts and karma your way.  
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Our best to you. Keeping you in our thoughts, Stay positive.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    The folks here are incredible. @Mosca good thoughts are here for a positive outcome for your wife in 2016. 
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    She's out of surgery and in recovery. Before we went in the surgeon said there was still a possibility that the cancer wasn't confined to her uterus and they might need to take her lymph nodes, but that didn't happen. Nevertheless the doctor stressed that the type of tumor is very, very bad, and there is chemo in the future. So, this is the "good" result we were hoping for; it's never actually good, but if you're dealt a bad hand you can still win if you play it right, and that's what we're going to do! 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    @Mosca - clear lymph nodes are a big plus.  In my simple mind it means that the cancer is confined to the organ where found.  I certainly hope that is how it works for you.  Take no prisoners with this fight.  Cancer sucks.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • @Mosca, I'm keeping you and your wife in my prayers. I also would like to say what a wonderful gesture @SRFShane made and kudos to the folks on the forum that started the ball rolling. This is truly a wonderful group of caring and thoughtful people.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    From my family to yours....may our prayers be with you both today and throughout this journey.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Just want to let you know you and your wife are in our prayers.  

Classy move by the folks at SRF for their gift.  Just another reason to love their product.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA