Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SRF Bone In Kurobuta half of ham!

Options

I have a 10/11 pound bone in Kurobuta Ham and was thinking of doing it egrets style, has anyone tried this?

Thanks in advance!

Chuck King

Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Following closely. Have the same cut ready to fire off this weekend. I almost want to just smoke it naked so I can see/appreciate the difference in meat quality. 
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options

You're going to love it. I did a whole one last spring. 

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options

I have a 10/11 pound bone in Kurobuta Ham and was thinking of doing it egrets style, has anyone tried this?

It works just the same as a spiral ham. Just remember that it's already cooked and you are simply smoking it to warm it to serving temp. On the 10+ pounders I pull them when the deepest part reads around 120-125. Trying to go much higher than this on the big ones can dry the outer layers out. Good luck and standing by for the finale. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Since you asked for opinions I will give you mine. I love Egret's recipe and I will be PROUDLY using it and serving a Cook's Shank ham to family on Christmas day as I have for several years now. The difference between your $120+ Kurobuta Ham from SVF and my $12 one from Kroger at $.97 a pound obviously is the price due to heritage of your SVF Berkshire and my Cook's that fell off the truck. =)
    Egret's recipe enhances the ham due to injecting it with a cup of rich maple syrup. While the glaze in Egret's recipe is very tasty only a few slices will even have any of the finished coating. My advice based on MANY hams using Egret's is that unless you carefully under cut and remove the layer of smoked fat which comes on the ham (I know..OH HEAVEN FORBID) then the glaze concoction will merely slide off the ham during the 12 hour rest in the refrig OR during the cook! If you don't care to follow my experience then that's fine...but why not drink the bourbon that goes into the glaze as it will be wasted anyway. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    edited December 2015
    Options
    RRP said:
    Since you asked for opinions I will give you mine. I love Egret's recipe and I will be PROUDLY using it and serving a Cook's Shank ham to family on Christmas day as I have for several years now. The difference between your $120+ Kurobuta Ham from SVF and my $12 one from Kroger at $.97 a pound obviously is the price due to heritage of your SVF Berkshire and my Cook's that fell off the truck. =)
    Egret's recipe enhances the ham due to injecting it with a cup of rich maple syrup. While the glaze in Egret's recipe is very tasty only a few slices will even have any of the finished coating. My advice based on MANY hams using Egret's is that unless you carefully under cut and remove the layer of smoked fat which comes on the ham (I know..OH HEAVEN FORBID) then the glaze concoction will merely slide off the ham during the 12 hour rest in the refrig OR during the cook! If you don't care to follow my experience then that's fine...but why not drink the bourbon that goes into the glaze as it will be wasted anyway. 

Thanks for your reply, I think I may let it ride at 325/350 indirect until 125/130 and enjoy it like it is.
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE