Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ruhlman's Dogs

Options
Chubbs
Chubbs Posts: 6,929
edited December 2015 in EggHead Forum
Anyone tried making his hotdogs from 'Charcuterie' (pages 164-165)? Going to give it a whirl if my hog casings come in anytime soon
Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013

Comments

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Yep. Good flavor.  Mine seemed coarser than commercial dogs, but i think that was neither a positive nor negative. They emulsified nicely. I used regular casings so they were pretty jumbo 

it think it would be a good recipe to augment. You know, make spicier, whatever
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Yep. Good flavor.  Mine seemed coarser than commercial dogs, but i think that was neither a positive nor negative. They emulsified nicely. I used regular casings so they were pretty jumbo 

it think it would be a good recipe to augment. You know, make spicier, whatever
    Thanks for the reply. Good to know. My toddler son loves hotdogs so wanted to see if he would like them. Curious about consistency now. Although That would mean more for me 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    @Darby_Crenshaw did you double grind? Also what grind plates did you use?

would be interested in giving these a run too. 

Greensboro, NC
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Food processor? For example... http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/03/ryann-farr-new-york-style-hot-dog-recipe.html

Disclaimer, I've never done it. Wanted to though. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    i followed the recipe, which i think was double grind plus some amount of mixer time.  i think if you wanted a perfectly uniform emulsification like you get with storebought, you'd run it thru a blender or with a blender-stick.

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]