Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Unknown white matter found when peeling shrimp - Possible Graphic Photo Alert

Options
nolan8v
nolan8v Posts: 400
I recently purchased about 40 pounds of Gulf Shrimp and decided to peel them today. While peeling, I noticed a white matter in quite a number of the shrimp. A couple of them had a weird smell to them. Needless to say they were thrown away. The substance was in the heads (per attached photo) as well as in the tail, parallel with the vein.

Has anyone else encountered this before?
"You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
Chris Rose 

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    That is the pancrease and ovaries. It shouldn't be swollen like that. Nothing like that for that matter. This tells me that your shrimp has been allowed to get hot. In a nutshell, they have started to rot. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Coastalcooker
    Options
    Shrimp left on ice too long start to rot. If the head falls off easily, it is not fresh. Shrimp need to be headed and cooked or frozen within a day of being caught IMHO.

Bob
    Cookin' on the coast
    Shellman Bluff, GA
    Medium BGE

• ckali7
    ckali7 Posts: 120
    Options
    They may have been on the boat a bit longer, sometimes they'll use a "potato wash" or iodine to keep the seafood fresh longer. I know the Gulf boats stay at sea longer that the Atlantic boats.