Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sugar on ABTs?

Hi All,

Making some pulled pork ABTs for a party this afternoon.  I was thinking about sprinkling some turbinado sugar on the top of the bacon, to sweeten them up.  Anyone ever tried this?  Suggestions?

Thanks 

Larry
QBabe's Husband
Brutus
LazyGator
QBH

Im sure I had other "handles" over the years, but it had been a long time.

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited December 2015
    Yes that will be good. You could use a combination of sugar and chili powder for a little sweet and heat action.   I am sure straight sugar will be great as well since you already have heat from the jalapeno peppers.   Perhaps some paprika just for color (Imo paprika doesn't add any heat).

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Never tried it, but I will. @henapple makes them with chocolate bars, so there's a precedent. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Depending on the bacon you use, there may be sugar in there already. I mix things in the cream cheese if I want to doctor them up. If you scrape the seeds and white membrane thoroughly, they will not be hot at all. 
  • QBH
    QBH Posts: 49
    Thanks for the prompt replies.  I'll give it a try.  Worst that can happen in failure.

Larry

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited December 2015
    I haven't used sugar before, but I have spread some sweet jalapino jelly on top before adding the bacon wrap. I think you can see the glistening here. They are delicious with the added topping!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • QBH
    That a great idea, Ron.  Had I thought about it, I might have done that instead, but they are made, and about to go o the egg.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited December 2015
    QBH said:
    Thanks for the prompt replies.  I'll give it a try.  Worst that can happen in failure.

Larry

Brown sugar and bacon fail? Pig candy mon ami. Toss some cayenne or Indian red chilli powder on them too.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Sure... why not?  I tried @henapple MPDs last year and they killed. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • RRP
    QBH said:

Larry
    QBabe's Husband
    Brutus
    LazyGator
    QBH

Im sure I had other "handles" over the years, but it had been a long time.
    WOW - that's a memory jogger! QBabe used to be a regular on the other forum...how she be? I know I still have some of her recipes saved. Happy Holidays to the two of you!
  • QBH
    Thanks Ron, she is good.  Back in school again, and staying busy.

BTW, the sugar on the ABTs was very good, I probably should have used a little more, but I didn't want to over do it.  I was thinking later, that Dizzy Pig's Pineapple Head rub would be really good, assuming they still make it, we are kind of out of touch with current events in the egg world.

• RRP
    QBH said:
    Thanks Ron, she is good.  Back in school again, and staying busy.

BTW, the sugar on the ABTs was very good, I probably should have used a little more, but I didn't want to over do it.  I was thinking later, that Dizzy Pig's Pineapple Head rub would be really good, assuming they still make it, we are kind of out of touch with current events in the egg world.

Good! Yes, Pineapple Head is still a popular selling rub for Chris. BTW he has also introduced some others in the past couple years. You might want to check them out.