Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any of you folks live or know someone who lives in a Tiny House?

Options
I get a small house as the wif and I dowsized substantially about 8 years ago. I get a small egg for small cooks......but 150  to 250 sq feet? I hope life doesn't take me there. Guess I am very blessed.
Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
Run me out in the cold rain and snow

Comments

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited December 2015
    Options
    The 400 square foot tiny apartments in big cities make total sense to me. Even some of the 150 ft for the exec whose family lives in the burbs and they work a lot.. but just getting some trailer and spending more than a mobile home costs on a closet is insane to me.

My house qualifies for the "small" house movement at 987 square feet. But I got lots of deck space.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    My house is small but not tiny

i know a lot of people in huge houses

doesn't make them happy i can tell you that. And i ain't so sure they can really afford them to be honest. 

Never can tell how much people have just by lookin at 'em. 

To each his own. 
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I live in a friking dump. I'm happy though. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    The good Lord blessed me with a huge hammer. The size of my house is of less importance to me =)

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    I'm confused.  250 Sq ft. is larger than a Small Egg, but too small for an apartment for two, or even one.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    SGH said:
    That is having your priorities right for sure. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    SGH said:
    The good Lord blessed me with a huge hammer. The size of my house is of less importance to me =)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl-yszPdRTk
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • SGH
    Options
    SGH said:
    That is having your priorities right for sure. 
    Hey, I have nice smokers though. A man must have priorities ;)

Status- Standing by.

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Robin, I don't know anyone that lives in a space that small, including @SGH.  And you well know @SGH lives in Thundergod heaven, not a dump. And he's the happiest guy I know!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    MBW and I left the burbs for the city, to which I had never lived before. I had always lived out and away. It is nice here, blessed with kind souls, which have turned out to be very cool. It is an older home, smaller than the homes I previously have owned. Got a lot of work to do to this place, should we end up staying. I like it here. It is home. It makes everyone happy. We are a thankful family, oh yeah, with two BGEs.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Does this count????

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• SGH
    Options
    That's my house with the big unit in front of it. 

Status- Standing by.

• Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Waterfront living at it's finest
  • SGH
    Options
    Waterfront living at it's finest
    Brother you have that^^^^^^^^^^^^. 

Status- Standing by.

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    Options
    Yep, I just bought my mother-in-laws Chevy Lumina for $300. Rusty, hail, and paint faded. I put in front discs last weekend, found some new/used winter tires on Craigslist, and changed the oil. This week I've patched a pinhole in the gas tank where salt has collected over winters. Need to tackle the other side of the tank this weekend. I'll have a $500 - $600 dollar car when all said and done. The motor and tranny have 140,000 miles. Not hitting the junk yard quite yet. It will keep the miles off my little Ranger this winter. She's ugly but she's got some fight left in her yet. I'm happy with my crappy cars and small house.  =)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    We watch that some times and I swear both of our heads swivel back and forth in a "no no no" WE can't believe this show. In a former life time I used to write off bad loans around $10k at most made to folks who bought double wide trailers 4 to 8 times larger and FAR nicer than these WAY overpriced camper trailer sized "homes?" from $40 to $80K.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SGH
    Options
    RRP said:
    WAY overpriced camper trailer sized "homes?" from $40 to $80K.
    I live in one of those. It's a piece of $hit....

Status- Standing by.

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    It's all about perspective and desires.  I was never a McMansion kind of guy.  Bought less house than I could afford.  Now I sleep well at night with a couple of Eggs on the patio, brother Duane Allman on the stereo, a beautiful wife and kids by my side, and freedom.  Never forget my friends, Cash is King!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    ......but 150  to 250 sq feet?

Is that the area you live in or the size of the area the Egg lives in? My hats off to you if you live in that area. That is really downsizing to the max.  
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    There are some hardcore hipster singles living in these tiny trailers that size

but my place is only 1900

old house, 1920s cottage kinda thing

Built back when everyone could stand to be in the same room together

works for us
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• bgebrent
    Options
    @Darby_Crenshaw, I've been told size didn't matter.  If it works then it works brother.  
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    The TV show Tiny homes inspired a portion of our home design.  We currently are having our house designed and will be built with shipping containers. this was based off a tiny home episode my wife and I saw... Permits in our area have been a bi*** but we are forging forward 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Very nice design brother, what are your perimeter dimensions?
  • McStew
    Options
    40x40 first floor 40x 35 second floor 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • McStew
    Options
    Still working on some major details with the city and almost all of the neighbors at the property we are looking at... No one understands what you can turn a shipping container into if you don't have an imagination. 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    That looks amazing brother!  Our architect daughter agrees.  Very nice!
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Need a rendering. I might know a guy...

• bgebrent
    Options
    For the creek behind the house?
  • McStew
    Options
    Thanks @bgebrent this has been a two year city battle so far that I am determined to win. So glad that your daughter agrees we have found out the hard way the majority of people don't get it 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Carry on and beat the city!  And ignore the majority.  You'll succeed.  Keep me posted brother.