Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DIGIQ 2 HELP....

Options

So I was thinking of ordering a DIGIQ for Christmas.  I wanted to do some overnight briskets for the holidays. 

Question:  Is there any way to know what your meat temperature is without being outside with the Egg?  I currently use the Maverick and I get the remote inside where I can always see grid and meat temps.  Does the DIGIQ not have the capability of doing this?  I found one on sale for $250 shipped but not sure if it's worth it too me....Thoughts?

Thanks

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Binoculars

Spend $50-$75 more and get a Flame Boss 200
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • corey24
    corey24 Posts: 386
    Options
    Any more have experience with Flame Boss 200....?

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    You need the CyberQ wifi unit
    Jacksonville FL
  • corey24
    Options
    Dobie said:

I have heard some not so good stories on hooking up wifi on that unit?

Is the Flame Boss easier?

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,044
    Options
    I have a Flame Boss 200.  I really like it.  I can monitor and adjust temps from anywhere with internet access (as long as you have wifi at your egg)

It is very simple to use, rock solid, and great customer support.

DigiQ makes a similiar unit called the CyberQ.  If you are on the same wifi network then it is pretty easy to use and a good performer also.  If you are ok with port forwarding and other network settings then it can also be controlled from the interwebs.  I have personally never used the CyberQ, but have used a DigiQ.

I am partial to the FlameBoss units.  I have both a 100 and a 200.

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    corey24 said:
    Dobie said:

I have heard some not so good stories on hooking up wifi on that unit?

Is the Flame Boss easier?

Short answer is yes.  FB200 is easier to use than the CyberQ.

FB200 pretty much only requires you to setup an account on their server (free and easy) and put in your SSID and passcode.  Done.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    All the above suggestions are good ones, but you could also consider buying a Party Q and pairing it with the Maverick you already have. I use this setup often and use the maverick probes to monitor the pit and the protein while I use the party q probe to keep the pit constant with the simple fan/probe setup. I know it is an extra probe in the pit, but not a big deal IMO. I really like this setup. I have a digiq I use less often and rarely when the weather is poor. The flame boss and cyberq are obviously major upgrades from this setup, but not necessary for everyone. You really can't go too far wrong here. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited December 2015
    Options
    @pgprescott is spot on.  Once you decide what features are important it is easier to pick a controller.

If all you want is a temp controller and monitoring from inside then the a PartyQ paired with a Maverick will work great.

Already having a Maverick gives you more flexibility on controllers.  The PartyQ is neat because it uses batteries.  No messing with outlets.
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    I adore my cheapy wifi camera placed on my egg and pointed at my digiq.....can see the temp from anywhere I desire....even the duck blind.  :)
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I have the digi and have had absolute success each time I used it. Set it and forget it. Sleep through the nights with no issues. When I first got it, I would wake up to go check the temp, never failed 225F.  Plan your cook, it does the rest.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • corey24
    Options
    I went with the flame boss 200 Wi-Fi. Found new one on eBay for 265. That is a good price and I really like the ability to keep track on my phone when I'm away. 

I'll let you guys know how it works. 

Any of you guys that have one already please give me some tips....