Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cold smoking salmon for sushi

Options
Odd question, but I figured I'd put this out there - has anyone tried cold smoking salmon for the purpose of make sushi with it?  Obviously, you would want to use sushi-grade salmon for this, but I'd be interested to hear of anyone's tips or experiences trying this.

Many thanks,

Eric "GuitarEC"
Metro Atl., Ga.

Comments

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    edited December 2015
    Options
    You are going to make sushi with Lox?

If you are buying sushi grade salmon, use it raw man.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    You are going to make sushi with Lox?
    Scandanasian fusion. I like it!
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    I think I've had a few rolls with smoked salmon, jalapeño and avocado - making me hungry thinking of it.
  • Plutonium
    Options
    Sounds interesting. I don't think I've ever had smoked fish in any sushi item.

FYI about sushi grade fish:
    Although stores use the label "sushi grade fish," there are no official standards for using this label. The only regulation is that parasitic fish, such as salmon, should be frozen to kill any parasites before being consumed raw.

Albuquerque, NM - LBGE and an old rusted gasser that I use for accessory storage.

• GuitarEC
    GuitarEC Posts: 122
    Options
    @Plutonium - There is an asian farmer's market near my home - they have a sushi counter where you can either buy sushi pre-made, or the whole piece of fish to take home and prepare yourself.  With a single piece of salmon, some rice and wasabi for about $25 total, you can make about $100+ worth of sushi at home.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,756
    Options
    im thinking for sushi you might want a very mild smoke flavor and not a heavier smoked/cured type flavor. maybe you could get away with partially freezing and then over cold smoke for maybe 10 to 15 minutes with a tray of ice under it.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Plutonium
    Options
    Sounds pretty good. I've frozen salmon for the recommended time duration for my deep freezer temperature and made sushi once, it was good. I'd like to learn how to make rolls some day. I never was a huge fan of the premade stuff that's sold everywhere now, it often seems like sushi bar prices for lesser quality/freshness.
    Albuquerque, NM - LBGE and an old rusted gasser that I use for accessory storage.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Plutonium said:
    Sounds pretty good. I've frozen salmon for the recommended time duration for my deep freezer temperature and made sushi once, it was good. I'd like to learn how to make rolls some day. I never was a huge fan of the premade stuff that's sold everywhere now, it often seems like sushi bar prices for lesser quality/freshness.
    It's not as hard as you think to make rolls. I'll gladly walk you through it any time you want (actually the wife will- I'm the grill guy, she's the sushi chef). We make rolls quite often.

As far as the cold smoke goes- get you an A-Maze-N Smoker for $30 and some alderwood or another mild smoke pellet and smoke indirect  with a tray of ice in there. I would start at like an hour or even 30 minutes and see how that tastes. It's probably going to take a few times to get it dialed in the way you like it but it can be done and it's not hard.

Not sure where you live but the AMS will not raise the temp of your egg much if at all- especially in a cold climate (if there are any this year).

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX