Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - lid for sous vide vessel

Options
Some folks use ping pong balls or matching lid ... I mummified a scrap piece of rigid packing styrofoam with duct foil 

canuckland

Comments

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    Nice! I want to get a sous vide machine. But I am still not sure I would use it that much.

how often do you use? And what for ?
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    That's a good idea. Consider it stolen :)

I was thinking of getting a Cambro container with lid and cutting a notch in it, but I wasn't enthused about having a big box to store somewhere when not in use.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    slovelad said:
    Nice! I want to get a sous vide machine. But I am still not sure I would use it that much.

havent used it yet but i bought this to use with an old crock pot (digital crocks will not work).  will do a cook soon though. if i find i will use it, then maybe an upgrade
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V4TJR00?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I float bubble-wrap on my bath.
    Options
    slovelad said:

I use it more often for whole eggs and chicken breasts. Occasionally for brisket, turkey roulade (Chefsteps recipe), chuck roast (some folks call it chuck steak!).  Haven't done much with veg and seafood.
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options

I float bubble-wrap on my bath.
    great idea, I'll try that for other vessels.
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options

havent used it yet but i bought this to use with an old crock pot (digital crocks will not work).  will do a cook soon though. if i find i will use it, then maybe an upgrade
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V4TJR00?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

Looks good and the price is right!  Just be aware that in an email reply to a customer, the seller indicated that "an 880 watt 110v (or 1920 watt for 240v) appliance is the maximum recommended for this temp controller".  Just checked my crock pot and it's 370 watts, so I think most or all crock pots should be fine.  You can probably get away with a hot plate rated over 1000 watts by turning down the thermostat.
    canuckland
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options

Looks good and the price is right!  Just be aware that in an email reply to a customer, the seller indicated that "an 880 watt 110v (or 1920 watt for 240v) appliance is the maximum recommended for this temp controller".  Just checked my crock pot and it's 370 watts, so I think most or all crock pots should be fine.  You can probably get away with a hot plate rated over 1000 watts by turning down the thermostat.
    i did look that up, i have an older turkey roaster crock thats too much wattage but my old low high crock will work either setting. i like the idea of floating a cover, was going to drill a hole, this is better
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    slovelad said:

Like any new gizmo, at 1st it gets used a lot. W. time, somewhat less.

I'll get around to using a dedicated unit, but for the last couple years, I've used  an external controller for my slow cookers. I use it probably 2 or 3 times a week. SVs are sort of glorified slow cookers. Very precise temp control, but the sealed food doesn't loose moisture or flavor.

Tough meats are my main cooks, followed by meats that can turn out dry like white meat poultry. Sort of like braising, but the browning must be done seperately.

It  works really well for cooking eggs to just the right consistency.

Overall, its great for make aheads, and/or re-heats. For Thanksgiving, I made a few pounds of herb butter, then cooked many packages of turkey breast in the butter. Froze, and reheated to take to the family dinner.  Drained off the butter and juices, strained it, and made the gravy. Best gravy I've ever made. Tomorrow, I'll re-warm the remaining package, and expect to have turkey breast as moist and tender as fresh cooked.

Not as much use for vegs. They usually need to get close to boiling temp, and the bags get too soft for my liking. Haven't experimented yet w. doing veg unbagged in water or sauce.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I have 4 SV cookers.  I use them once or twice a week.  When I'm cooking lots of food for a big party - 40 to 100 people, they are instrumental given I have limited resources - smokers, etc.  You can really crank out mass quantities of excellent food with a SV system and grill.
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I use mine every week multiple times a week. We make all our baby food using it. We reheat any leftovers with it. We cook any pork chops or chicken breasts in the SV. It's become part of our lives.  I just grabbed an anova for the motorhome.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum