Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fish Tacos - suggestions please

Options
SciAggie
SciAggie Posts: 6,481
Ok, I'm weird - I've never had fish tacos. I thought I would make some. What type of fish works well? Please note I live in a backwater rural dent in the road that won't have a great fish selection. It will all be frozen as well so suggest commonly available fish. Beer battered or grilled?
Also, at the risk of opening this can of worms, what is a slaw dressing recommendation?
Thanks in advance.
Coleman, Texas
Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
"Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                      YukonRon

Comments

• EggSmokeVa
    Options
    Beer Battered Cod is my go to...
    Large BGE
    36" BlackStone
    Backwoods G2 Party
    Yard full of other stuff to cook on

RVA -> Chesapeake Va
    Professional Drinker & Home Cook
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Brother, where do I even begin? The sky is truly the limit on what type of fish you can use. To me, I'm not one to follow tradition. As such, I use any fish that I enjoy eating. We have made them with good fresh River catfish (not pond raised), Mahi Mahi, Redfish, grouper, yellowfin tuna, white trout, speckled trout and even flounder. Whatever fish that you like to eat, you will like in a fish taco. Here is something that is popular in the Deep South (Dixie). Frying the fillets instead of grilling or baking them. A fried grouper, white trout or flounder taco is a tough act to follow. Again, you can use any fish that you like and you can cook the fish anyway imaginable. As far as slaw, I don't care for it. As such, I smother my fish tacos with 3 different melted cheeses and a little tarter sauce. But to each their own as we all have different tastes. As soon as the weather breaks, I'm making some fish tacos myself. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SciAggie
    edited December 2015
    Options
    @SGH That's guidance enough my friend. I'm leaning toward fried fish - just because that sounds good at the moment. I may use some jalapeño ranch dressing also for the same reason. I'll post the results.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SGH
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    I'll post the results.
    As always, will be standing by for the finale my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I like tuna tacos!  

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @tarheelmatt Dude, that looks really good - bookmarked that cook. Thanks!
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    We prefer grilled. Mahi and grouper usually. An earlier post below. 

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1187355/tonights-fish-tacos-and-mexican-corn-yum#latest
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @bgebrent Thanks. I bookmarked yours as well. Your recipe feels comfortable if that makes sense. I make pico quite often. Do you think cod would grill ok? I found some decent frozen fillets at the grocer. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Cod works fine.  Grilling saves the mess and calories of deep frying too.  You'll love the simplicity and taste.  Have fun!
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @bgebrent What temp for grilling? 350 or 400ish?
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • bgebrent
    Options
    I prefer the high end of that range.  Depends in part on the thickness of your fish.  COD at 400 should work fine.  Squeeze a little fresh lime juice on the fish just before pulling off the egg.
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    Being a native SoCal boy I've eaten a few tacos. Tacos are kinda like a sandwich in that you can put anything you like in them. You can have soft tacos with the corn tortillas just warmed up on grill top or hard shell with the tortillas fried in oil. Generally one no no is cheese on a fish or seafood taco. The seafood can be battered and fried or grilled. One of my favorites is shrimp. The possibilities are endless. Have fun and enjoy.

XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • SGH
    Options
    td66snrf said:
    Generally one no no is cheese on a fish or seafood taco. 
    Im one of those rogues who commit this "no no". I smother my fish tacos in white queso, shredded American and cheddar cheese. I was always a little different though ;)

Status- Standing by.

• bgebrent
    Options
    Cheese with fish, especially fish tacos is dealers choice.  No cheese with fish is kinda like only red wine with red meat and white wine with white meat.  Whatever floats your boat.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Cheese with fish, especially fish tacos is dealers choice.  No cheese with fish is kinda like only red wine with red meat and white wine with white meat.  Whatever floats your boat.
  • SGH
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Whatever floats your boat.
    Cheese floats my boat ;) Unfortunatly I like it on darn near everything. That probably explains my waist size :D

Status- Standing by.

• bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
    when I was younger...I ate a taco......it tasted like fish.....we never went out again

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    SGH said:
    td66snrf said:
    Generally one no no is cheese on a fish or seafood taco. 
    Im one of those rogues who commit this "no no". I smother my fish tacos in white queso, shredded American and cheddar cheese. I was always a little different though ;)
    Like I said  generally. I guess you missed the part where I said you can put anything on them you like. It's just if you  order them at a Mexican restaurant and I'm speaking generally again you won't find cheese on them.At least in this part of the country. I guess my point being make them how you like them there's no wrong way. Love you guys.
    TD
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • SGH
    Options
    td66snrf said:
    Like I said  generally. I guess you missed the part where I said you can put anything on them you like. It's just if you  order them at a Mexican restaurant and I'm speaking generally again you won't find cheese on them.At least in this part of the country. I guess my point being make them how you like them there's no wrong way. Love you guys.
    TD
    No sir, I did not miss it. Was just merely stating that I enjoy them with cheese. I agree with you that it's not the normal preparation. Even down here in the south they do not come with cheese. Of course you can request it, but it doesn't come prepared that way.  The love is returned in kind my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

• SciAggie
    Options
    Ok, so Mexican sammich made the way you like it. Not sure how I'll like it so here's the game plan. Going to grill the fish on the egg; S&P to season, lime and cilantro when they come off. Made some slaw for SWMBO, some pico de gallo, jalapeño ranch dressing as choices. I'll put out cheese. 
    I'm hungry. We'll see what happens. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    As stated already, lots of variation here, nothing is wrong.
    Here's some I did. It's posted on the forum here somewhere as well.
    http://dizzypigbbq.com/portfolio/fajita-ish-fish-tacos/

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • bgebrent
    Options
    You are right on track brother!  Have fun and enjoy!
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    @bgebrent Thanks. I bookmarked yours as well. Your recipe feels comfortable if that makes sense. I make pico quite often. Do you think cod would grill ok? I found some decent frozen fillets at the grocer. 
    Hey, what's that supposed to mean? :fearful: 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • bgebrent
    Options
    @tarheelmatt, us Kentuckians just have a way of making folks feel comfortable, it's innate =)
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    @tarheelmatt, us Kentuckians just have a way of making folks feel comfortable, it's innate =)
    I guess so brother. I'm really a nice guy, I promise!
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • bgebrent
    Options
    @tarheelmatt, no doubt in my mind brother!
  • SciAggie
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Hey, what's that supposed to mean? :fearful: 
    Lol. It simply means those flavor combinations are something I'm accustomed to using. Mango chipotle is not a normal flavor combination for me. 
    Oh, and you guys crack me up. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon