Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Best BBQ joint in San Antonio area?

Options
Hello All,
A few months ago I asked all the Austin locals if standing in line for Franklin was actually worth it and you said 'Yes; it IS worth the wait'. Of course you were unequivocally correct, it was AMAZING! Now I'm heading back to Texas for work again and was wondering what the best spots are in the San Antonio area. Any good tips?

I realize this is becoming a sort of sub-category on the forum, which is kind of funny. Maybe every egg purchased should come with a subscription to Texas Monthly (haha).

Cheers all -
B_B  
Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
     Maybe every egg purchased should come with a subscription to Texas Monthly (haha).

You can have mine.
    NOLA
  • krames
    krames Posts: 70
    Options
    There are a couple places.

First, the granary (they have an egg in the kitchen). They do the usual BBQ for lunch and then do a more elevated menu for dinner. (Try the beef clod or the ramen for dinner). The granary also brews its own beer. (Texas monthly pick)

I would also suggest two bros. I like their brisket and ribs. (Their beans are pretty good too.)  (Texas monthly pick)

There's also B&D's ice house. It's an ice house located in South town. They are pretty good. (Same owner as two bros)

Texas Monthly also picked Smoke Shack as an up and coming BBQ restaurant. It was a little dry when I tried it. Your mileage may very. 

I would also throw out the BBQ Station too. Oh and people like Big Bib too.

If you could only go to one, I would probably lean towards the Granary. Hope that helps. And whatever you do...don't go to the country line.

http://www.barbecuestation.com/
    http://www.twobrosbbqmarket.com/
    http://www.banddicehouse.com/
    http://www.barbecuestation.com/
    http://thegranarysa.com/
    http://www.thebigbib.com/

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    edited December 2015
    Options
    The specialty of San Antonio is their tex mex.  Acenar's is a great place... also Casa Rio on the Riverwalk is nice and authentic.  For BBQ, I did eat at County Line BBQ on the Riverwalk.  I heard that's "chainy" for the area, but they did put out some great bbq in my opinion.  
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    If you are north you could drive 15 minutes and hit up coopers in New Braunfels. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,967
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Or go knock on @foghorn 's door. I know he has some SRF gold steaks on the way so there's that...
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Timely thread. Headed to San Anton next week on bitness for a few days myself.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Your best bet in town is The Granary.

Two Bros sucked horribly the first time and was okay the next visit.  That was when Emilio Soliz was the pitmaster...now that he's gone, I wouldn't step foot in that place.  My last visit, the cashier didn't know what the point was, so I was surprised when she moved to the carving station to cut my order.  She mutilated it and cut with the grain. During my meal, she got called to the back.  As I was leaving, the same girl was trimming, seasoning and putting briskets on the smoker.  I'll never go back after seeing that.

Smoke Shack is good, but I prefer their trailer on Naco & 10 over their B&M location.  

Harmon's BBQ in Cibilo has a lot of history...and if you catch them on the right day, you may get something special.  

Texas Pride is another spot that is worth a visit.  I like their buns, so sandwiches are good.  I do find that my meal varies based on who is cutting my order.  When the pitmaster is at the station, he gives you all the good **** as his standards are much higher.  

Ultimately, San Antonio is not a great BBQ city and all will be a huge downgrade from what you've had in Austin.  The exception may be The Granary, especially if you go at night, when they serve a non traditional elevated BBQ menu (traditional menu is offered at lunch).    You really should be hitting up Mexican Spots.  Pico De Gallo, Mi Terra or my personal favorite, Taco Taco.  Good luck!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I ate at Harmon's BBQ once it was very good. Had the Brisket and some sausages.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    edited December 2015
    Options
    i agree with cazzy for the most part.  harmons and big bib would be my top two. if you are up for a drive blacks in san marcos is better than the original IMO.  a few miles farther and you can be at kreuz's in lockhart though.

i didnt care for coopers in new braunfels at all, i actually like the rudys across the street better as its not a franchise.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    BBQ in SA not so bueno. Last time at Granery not so good either. Stick with Tex Mex food. For lunch i recommend El Milagrito on Woodland at St Marys. The food is good the little miracle" is finding a parking space. Good hamburger go to Chris Madrid's. 
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    Or go knock on @foghorn 's door. I know he has some SRF gold steaks on the way so there's that...
    The steaks are a gift for a friend but he does live in SA so I can give you his address. 

As for BBQ here, I used to think we had some '9's while Lockhart had some '10's.  Then I ate at Franklin's and LaBarbecue and they were 11.5s on that same scale. 

Many favorite meal on the Riverwalk is at Boudro's. Have them make guacamole at your table. I lived here 8 years and didn't like guacamole until I got it there.  The entrees are great as well. 

There's also a dive bar on the west side called Hill and Dales that has a food truck outside that serves brisket and/or pulled pork fried rice. It would be a reach to go there as a tourist but it's quite good. 

A visit to the Mexican Market (largest Mexican market not in Mexico) and a meal at either La Margarita or Mi Tierra is a good take as well. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    Loved Mi Tierra's back in the late 70's (the last time I was in SA). Other family members have been there since and say it is still worth finding the parking.
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    Options
    la margarita is legit!  mi tierra is worth walking through but i dont care for the food there.  the bakery though, mmmmmmmmm
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Eat Tex-Mexican in San Antonio

Rosarios  on St Mary's  

http://www.yelp.com/biz/rosarios-mexican-cafe-y-cantina-san-antonio

http://www.mitierracafe.com/home.php

just mentioned Mi Tierra's.  That is also very good, but also a bit touristy.  The owners have another Tex Mex restaurant, not far from Mi Tierra's that caters more to the locals.  It's called Pico de Gallo's.  Same great food as Mi Tierras. 

Alamo Cafe

Taco Taco

Jacala's on West Ave 

La Fonda on Main

Breakfast - Magnolia Pancake Haus. My favorite breakfast spot of all time

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,113
    Options
    We go to Mi Tierras for Breakfast fare and La Margarita for other food.

When in SA though go get Tacos... Taco Taco is my fav.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • cazzy
    Options
    The funny thing is that the Cortez Family owns La Margarita, Mi Terra and Pick De Gallo.  Everyone always has their favorite too.  I prefer La Margarita over Mi Terra, but I think Pico De Gallo is better than both of them.

As I said above though, Taco Taco is my favorite.  Mexican food is the last thing I want to eat, but I get excited when we drive to Taco Taco!
  • cazzy
    edited December 2015
    Options

Mickey said:
    Eat Tex-Mexican in San Antonio

Rosarios  on St Mary's  

http://www.yelp.com/biz/rosarios-mexican-cafe-y-cantina-san-antonio

http://www.mitierracafe.com/home.php

just mentioned Mi Tierra's.  That is also very good, but also a bit touristy.  The owners have another Tex Mex restaurant, not far from Mi Tierra's that caters more to the locals.  It's called Pico de Gallo's.  Same great food as Mi Tierras. 

Alamo Cafe

Taco Taco

Jacala's on West Ave 

La Fonda on Main

Breakfast - Magnolia Pancake Haus. My favorite breakfast spot of all time

Yes, yes, yes!  Magnolia Pancake Haus is the best breakfast spot I've ever been to.  Their Embassy location is still the best one though.  The pancakes are off the chain!!  Also, do yourself a favor and get biscuits and gravy to start, then get a Hawg & Hen Omlette (no creole sauce) with Magnolia Browns cooked in.
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Yes to Magnolia Pancake Haus.

Has anybody tried Smoke?

http://smoketherestaurant.com/

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Options
    Mi Tierra is cool just because it has been open 24 hours a day since 1941.  I feel like that says something about consistent quality. 

San Antonio, TX

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    cazzy said:
    The funny thing is that the Cortez Family owns La Margarita, Mi Terra and Pick De Gallo.  Everyone always has their favorite too.  I prefer La Margarita over Mi Terra, but I think Pico De Gallo is better than both of them.

As I said above though, Taco Taco is my favorite.  Mexican food is the last thing I want to eat, but I get excited when we drive to Taco Taco!
    I forgot about Pico de Gallo.  That place was awesome. 
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    Man i go to San Antonio every so often and it sounds like I am really missing out.  We spend most of our time in Austin and their food and BBQ scene is pretty damn good.  Looks like I need to venture a little further south.  This forum is so damn helpful.  
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Cazzy, Mickey is Taco Taco located on Hildebrand in Almost Park?  I had lunch at that location two weeks ago and the food was a real disappointment.  Hope it was an off day cause it was horrible.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Black_Badger
    Options
    Thanks guys, very much appreciated.

I have to say, coming from SoCal I'm pretty stuck up about Mexican food and have been known to bad mouth Tex-Mex, but maybe that's just because I've been very spoiled on more 'authentic' dishes.

I'll be in town for a big company sales conference, so I don't know how many opportunities I'll have to sneak away and enjoy something local; but now I feel like I have a good list to work from. Taco Taco looks pretty promising, although someone will have to explain to me how they make Carnitas with beef instead of pork...

Cheers all -
    B_B

Middleton, WI
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    @Black_Badger I had the same opinion coming from California Mexican food to Tex-mex and regular Mexican food here in Texas.  It's not the same, even though the names of the dishes can be the same.  Give it a shot for what it is, a different style. I like it, especially some of the interior Mexican food you don't see much of in California.   Happy eating.
  • cazzy
    Options
    Cazzy, Mickey is Taco Taco located on Hildebrand in Almost Park?  I had lunch at that location two weeks ago and the food was a real disappointment.  Hope it was an off day cause it was horrible.  
    Hildebrand and Olmos...yes.  That is horrible to hear...I wonder if something changed.  I haven't ate at Taco Taco since I left San Antonio (11-2014).  I hope it was just a bad day.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    krames said:
    And whatever you do...don't go to the country line.

I rode by a County Line last night on way to dinner. I flashed back to this thread. Hit Pappasitos's last night as it was quick and convenient. A decent chain Mexican......but not the best I have had in this area. The chicken tortilla soup was outstanding though. Will be on prowl tonight for some great Tex Mex.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Hey guys,
    Just got back from this trip last night and it was a really fun time. I did get the change to go out exploring for one lunch with a buddy and we ended up taking a cab over to Mi Tierra.

It was GREAT!

We took a cab (which was great because the parking did look like a hassle), and I knew as soon as we walked in the front door that this was a special place. The bakery is awesome and by the time we sat down (about a ten minute wait) we were salivating! The interior of the restaurant is really fun and it was boisterous but not painfully loud. I ordered tamales with beef chili gravy and we had some chips and salsa to start. We actually ended up trying 4 different salsas, all of which were good but two of which were PHENOMENAL! I've been really pushing myself to watch what I eat this year and that concept was thrown completely out the window here; the plate was thoroughly cleaned!

Anyway, this is all OT, bu I just wanted to say thanks to all you guys for the recommendation. This was a great meal and a great experience.

Cheers all -
    B_B

Middleton, WI