Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Music City Metals, WTF?

njl
njl Posts: 1,123
I ordered this cooking grid via Amazon:

Music City Metals 69991 Matte Cast Iron Cooking Grid Replacement for Gas Grill Model Big Green Egg large

What I got today is mystery metal, doesn't match the picture (which is good, since the one pictured lacks a down the center support), but has a glossy coating of enamel or some other paint, so thick, that the surface is totally smooth.  i.e. if it was sand cast iron, I can't see any texture like you'd find in a Lodge cast iron pan.  I don't know whether to try it out, or just say "screw this, it's not what I was sold, I'm not paying / not keeping it."

Comments

• it's probably porcelain, which is what BGE grids used to be

another amazon review says " The grate claims to be "matte cast iron". I don't know what that is supposed to mean, but it is covered by a glossy enamel which is the exact opposite of any matte finish I have ever seen. "

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    which is good, since the one pictured lacks a down the center support

Why did you order it? 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    henapple...I suppose it was a poorly considered impulse buy.

tjv, that appears to be exactly the one.

I suspect they've sold multiple different items as the same item...because another one of the reviews says:

I purchased this Cast Iron grate for my large big green egg to cook Christmas dinner 2011. Fits nicely, performs exactly as cast iron should.
    What impressed me the most was the fine "grain" or maybe it's called the texture, of the cast iron itself. It is really, really nice.
    The individual bars of the grate are triangular shaped. So depending what side you have up, you will get narrow(<1/8") or wide(about 1/4"). I use the narrow side for fish and veggies, and the wider side for steak and pork chops.
    When it was first delivered, I gave it a nice wash with hot soapy water. Then seasoned it really well using my oven and grape seed oil. Turned out great. Every time before I use it now, I oil the hot grate just before I put the food on. The seasoning is holding up really really nice!
    That doesn't match up at all with what I got.  I suppose if it really is porcelain coated cast iron, if/when the coating starts flaking off, I'll eventually end up with bare cast iron.  I might even know someone who could bead blast the rest of the coating off when that time comes.
  • Dafuq. I toldja it was porcelain

ah well. 

Hahaha
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]