Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Spatchcock Chicken (Questions hoping for some Answers)

Options
Beautiful night for my first Spatchcock Chicken.  

I started prepping the bird 24 hours in advance with an 8 hour simple brine that consisted of 2/3 cup of sugar, 1/3 cup of brown sugar, a few bay leaves, gallon of water brought to a boil to dissolve the sugar and salt.

After 8 hours of brining, I removed the bird, patted it dry and placed in the refrigerator, uncovered, for the remaining 15-20 hours to dry the skin.

Once I was ready to cook I applied a bit of olive oil, some Pensey's Northwoods Rub, and let sit while the Egg heated up.

I set the egg to direct cooking at 400 degrees, and used a dual probe thermometer to monitor the thigh temperature and also the breast temperature. I cooked until the breast meat internal temperature was 160 degrees and the thigh meat internal temperature was 180 degrees.   This took about 45-60 minutes.

The only "problem" I encountered was the thigh cooked much quicker than the breast.  I figured it is tough to mess up chicken thighs (cant really dry them out especially after being brined) so instead of cutting the dark meat off when it reached the desired temperature I left them on the grill until the breast meat reached the desired 160 degrees.  When I finally pulled the chicken the thigh meat internal temperature was 207 degrees and the breast was a solid 160 degrees.

The chicken turned out great! I could not get over how moist the white meat was and the thighs were great as well!  This was an incredibly easy and tasty meal to cook.  The chicken skin was not as crispy as it normally is in the oven but that is something I will have to play around with; leaving in refrigerator longer, not applying olive oil, maybe cooking skin side down at first, etc.

For any of your experienced Spatchackers out there, a few questions I would love some feed back on.
  1. Do you find the legs and thighs cook much faster than the breast, how do you deal with that, or do you just worry about the internal temp of the breast?
  2. Would cooking indirectly have an affect on texture and crispiness of skin?
  3. What tricks and tips do you have for creating a crispy skin?

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Most of the time I go raised direct between 375℉-415℉ works. Same on raised indirect. Rarely do I brine only because that requires some planning and many times I just cook on the fly. Legs pointed toward the hinge and breast toward the front. Normally pull mine at 155℉-160℉ breast  to allow for carryover and the legs are normally around 180℉-185℉ by that time.  
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Hey brother, let me first start my saying WHAT AN AWESOME VIEW!

Second, me thinks your 'over thinking' this particular cook. IMO, there's no need for brining a spatchcock when your going direct.

Heck, when I do SC, I fire the grill up ... prep the bird while she comes to a 400 degree temp, put that baby on and let her rip til the breast reads 158 or so.

Pull it, rest with some foil on top. 10 minutes later the temp has risen to about 165 or so.

Chow down ... acquire rave reviews.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Howdy fellow Wahoo. Welcome to the nut house.   spent 4 fine years in Cville.  graduated in 1984. Now living in Richmond.  
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Based on your pic, I'm guessing your thigh probe was too close to the bone and was giving you a high reading. does not really matter though, I like my dark meat well done. 

FWIW- I'm in the raised indirect camp and I cook around 450. I do brine because I like the salty flavor all the way through the meat. Just be careful with salty rubs if you brine. 

I do a 6-8% brine (very strong) for about 2 hours. Then air dry for an hour or so and cook it. skin is very crispy. You could add a little corn starch to the skin as you air dry it but I've found you don't need to once you find a setup and temp that works for you.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    @abpgwolf  .. Disagree? 
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    @SoCalTim I'm sure it was an errant "disagree".  because otherwise i'm sure he'd have offered an opinion.

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options

1. Do you find the legs and thighs cook much faster than the breast, how do you deal with that, or do you just worry about the internal temp of the breast?
    1. Would cooking indirectly have an affect on texture and crispiness of skin?
    1. What tricks and tips do you have for creating a crispy skin?
    1 - Dark meat should cook longer.  Your probe could have been mistakenly inserted.  

2 - I like indirect, personally.  I think your skin may not have been dried quite well.  I like a dry brine personally.  

3 - Try a dry brine.  You can also dust with some cornstarch just before going on.  

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • WAHOO_EGGER_CVILLE
    Options
    Based on your pic, I'm guessing your thigh probe was too close to the bone and was giving you a high reading. does not really matter though, I like my dark meat well done. 

FWIW- I'm in the raised indirect camp and I cook around 450. I do brine because I like the salty flavor all the way through the meat. Just be careful with salty rubs if you brine. 

I do a 6-8% brine (very strong) for about 2 hours. Then air dry for an hour or so and cook it. skin is very crispy. You could add a little corn starch to the skin as you air dry it but I've found you don't need to once you find a setup and temp that works for you.
    Thank you for the feed back...I will definitely give the indirect method a go in the future! Have a Happy Holiday!
  • WAHOO_EGGER_CVILLE
    Options

1. Would cooking indirectly have an affect on texture and crispiness of skin?
    1. What tricks and tips do you have for creating a crispy skin?
    1 - Dark meat should cook longer.  Your probe could have been mistakenly inserted.  

2 - I like indirect, personally.  I think your skin may not have been dried quite well.  I like a dry brine personally.  

3 - Try a dry brine.  You can also dust with some cornstarch just before going on.  

@tarheelmattThank you for the feed back...I will definitely give the dry brine a go in the future, do you have any recommendations for the dry brine! Have a Happy Holiday!
  • WAHOO_EGGER_CVILLE
    Options

Thank you for the feed back...I will give the corn starch a shot next time! Have a Happy Holiday!
  • WAHOO_EGGER_CVILLE
    Options
    Most of the time I go raised direct between 375℉-415℉ works. Same on raised indirect. Rarely do I brine only because that requires some planning and many times I just cook on the fly. Legs pointed toward the hinge and breast toward the front. Normally pull mine at 155℉-160℉ breast  to allow for carryover and the legs are normally around 180℉-185℉ by that time.  
    Thank you for the feed back...I'm still waiting for that crab recipe!!  Hope you are well and have a great Holiday Season!
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Lots of good advice so far. I usually do my spatchcocks raised indirect at about 400f. 

Try one indirect and compare.
  • WAHOO_EGGER_CVILLE
    Options
    Tinyfish said:
    Lots of good advice so far. I usually do my spatchcocks raised indirect at about 400f. 

Try one indirect and compare.
    Exactly what I plan on doing, just another excuse to play with my favorite toy with a nice adult beverage! Thank you for the advice.  Have a Happy Holiday!
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    @WAHOO_EGGER_CVILLE

I'm not the measuring type, but here's my base.  The sky is the limit really.  You can add coriander, thyme, sage, sugar, etc... 

Lemon zest
    Orange zest
    Salt 
    Pepper

Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Wasn't done in the oven, but same concept.  

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1184685/best-chicken-evvva#latest
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • WAHOO_EGGER_CVILLE
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    Hey brother, let me first start my saying WHAT AN AWESOME VIEW!

Second, me thinks your 'over thinking' this particular cook. IMO, there's no need for brining a spatchcock when your going direct.

Heck, when I do SC, I fire the grill up ... prep the bird while she comes to a 400 degree temp, put that baby on and let her rip til the breast reads 158 or so.

Pull it, rest with some foil on top. 10 minutes later the temp has risen to about 165 or so.

Chow down ... acquire rave reviews.
    Thank you for the feed back and compliment of the views! I am going try your method of not thinking about it too! My best cooks have come about without thinking too much and just going by the seat of my pants.  Hope you and you family have a wonderful Holiday Season!
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    I made this post a while ago. Incredible spatchcock using indirect.

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1350550&catid=1
    Judy in San Diego
  • WAHOO_EGGER_CVILLE
    Options

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1350550&catid=1
    @Judy Mayberry Thank you so much!!!  I will definitely give this a shot! This looks really tasty!  I hope you and your family have a wonderful Holiday Season!

• xiphoid007
    Options
    I do raised indirect at 400. I apply the rub and let sit uncovered in the fridge and dry out the skin as long as I can. I've always been pleased with the results.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • WAHOO_EGGER_CVILLE
    Options
    I do raised indirect at 400. I apply the rub and let sit uncovered in the fridge and dry out the skin as long as I can. I've always been pleased with the results.
    Thanks @xiphoid007 I think I will try the dry rub, indirect, and let sit in the fridge for at least 24 hours to really dry the skin out, maybe add a dusting of corn starch.  

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

I get the same results you do by going indirect. There are a lot of ways to do it right- I've had better luck indirect around 450 but play around and see what you like

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • bkhooegger
    Options
    Looks awesome...and go 'Hoos!
  • WAHOO_EGGER_CVILLE
    Options
    Looks awesome...and go 'Hoos!
    I hope Bronco Mendenhall, can get that program turned around.  We have every other sport in contention for a national championship, we just need to get the football program winning! As a former UVA soccer player married to a former UVA field hockey player we would love to see Scott Stadium packed and the Hoos winning!
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    24 hours in the fridge uncovered, 400F dome indirect until temp, serve to all, watch  them bow and praise. You will get used to it.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    @abpgwolf  .. Disagree? 
    Sorry, I didn't intend to do that. I must have hit the wrong button while scrolling on my phone. 

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    This method is very sound and produces excellent results, I do brine when time permits. Dear new eggers you will deliver unbelievable results using this method.
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    From looking at your pictures IMHO  I would break the sternum so the breasts will  sit flatter on the grill. Just put it breast side up and pretend you're giving it CPR. You'll hear it crack. I also like to remove the ribs at this point just so I don't have to deal with it after it's cooked.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • WAHOO_EGGER_CVILLE
    Options
    td66snrf said:
    From looking at your pictures IMHO  I would break the sternum so the breasts will  sit flatter on the grill. Just put it breast side up and pretend you're giving it CPR. You'll hear it crack. I also like to remove the ribs at this point just so I don't have to deal with it after it's cooked.
    @td66snrf That is a great idea.  I will definitely implement that strategy next cook.  Thank you for your feedback and I hope you have a wonderful Holiday Season!