Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dizzy Pig Ghost, Smoked Thighs..

Options
Beautiful sunny day here outside of Dallas.  Finished putting up some lights in the back yard as this cooked.

Brined some thighs for a couple of hours following thirdeyes eggcellent advice...

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1999/07/brining_29.html

Rinsed, patted dry and let rest in the fridge for awhile..

Rubbed DizzyPig Ghost under the skin and all over the skin while the Egg preheated to 250ish.

Put the thighs on for about 40 minutes skin down.  Flipped, raised the temp to around 400.  Continued flipping for 30 minutes,  then added sauce for about 20 minutes to three of them, closed the vents a bit.  Pulled at an internal of 175ish.. 

Perfection and served with some Sweet Potato Fries reheated on the Egg (wife had just completed these in the oven).

Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.

Comments

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Looks great... How successful was the chicken in taste and texture?  Brine worth it?
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    I am not sure on the brine.  However, I knew I would be cooking for a while, and wanted to make sure the chicken was moist when done, and it was...  Plus, it is fun!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I'm a brine believer now. This is like charcoal choice around here. I see a big difference, no question.
     The bird looks great! How was the ghost? Heat level, etc.  
  • smbishop
    Options
    The Ghost has great flavor, but not overwhelming at all, just the right amount of spice.  However, those sensitive to heat would probably say it was too hot...
  • smbishop
    Options
    By the way, these were double raised, direct with the Woo + extender...
  • pgprescott
    Options
    smbishop said:
    The Ghost has great flavor, but not overwhelming at all, just the right amount of spice.  However, those sensitive to heat would probably say it was too hot...
    Thanks @smbishop. The wording on the bottle is pretty aggressive. Could scare people away, but attract the crazy ones like you and I. 
  • smbishop
    Options
    smbishop said:
    Thanks @smbishop. The wording on the bottle is pretty aggressive. Could scare people away, but attract the crazy ones like you and I. 

Agree!  But, really, not overwhelming at all...
  • pgprescott
    Options
    smbishop said:
    smbishop said:

Agree!  But, really, not overwhelming at all...
    Great to know. Thanks! 
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    Nothing like egging with perfect weather..Great looking cook.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • smbishop
    Options
    Thank you John!