Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ozark oak

Options
just acquired this bag of lump. Heard all good things about and the bad of course that you can't get it anymore..... I'm usually cook with rockwood, is there anything different I should try with this. Trying to make the most out of this bag. 

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Just use it. It's all BTUs in the end.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @henapple will trade you much stuff for it
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    That's some rare lump! It's going to be the Honus Wagner of lump one day. Probably worth putting above the mantle in a glass case. =)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    This is half gone now, not half full!

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    I'd try to sell it on eBay. I'm sure the lump purists would offer $100+ for that now that it is "extinct".
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    I'd try to sell it on eBay. I'm sure the lump purists would offer $100+ for that now that it is "extinct".
    HOLY SH!T I never even thought about that angle! Now if some one would just teach me this about this eBay sh!t as I have 10 or 12 bags of OO in my stash. BTW anybody hot for my NOW extinct Chicago Charcoal brand?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    This stuff sucks, send it to me and I will dispose of it properly.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    edited December 2015
    Options
    RRP said:
    HeavyG said:
    HOLY SH!T I never even thought about that angle! Now if some one would just teach me this about this eBay sh!t as I have 10 or 12 bags of OO in my stash. BTW anybody hot for my NOW extinct Chicago Charcoal brand?
    @RRP ... Ron, you've really got to learn to cook with those eggs of yours.  Honestly, those OO bags are so old they've probably turned to black dust.  Is it true you're still driving around with some RW in the trunk 'cuz you don't have anyplace to store it?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    everything ok Ron? that profanity isn't like you.  you seem stressed and not like yourself.

i hope everything is ok.

;)
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• RRP
    Options

@RRP ... Ron, you've really got to learn to cook with those eggs of yours.  Honestly, those OO bags are so old they've probably turned to black dust.  Is it true you're still driving around with some RW in the trunk 'cuz you don't have anyplace to store it?
    Guilty as charged! I like to think of my trunk stash as being ballast!

As for hoarding - guess I'm also guilty as I typically always maintain a level of 600 pounds or more. I only use that OO in my medium for baking and I haven't baked much lately. BTW that medium is now 14 years old, never had wood nor meat cooked in it and still is sporting the original felt gasket and is merely tan inside!
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    You get that from Tiffany Paxton with the Santa Clause?  

:rofl: 

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • RRP
    Options
    You get that from Tiffany Paxton with the Santa Clause?  

:rofl: 

LOL - nope - but check out the discussion that followed my initial inquiry. Sounds like some of the rude rubes are still around!
    http://www.topix.com/forum/city/yellville-ar/TH7UBFTQKE0U0NSCS
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I'm still sitting on 300 lbs of Ozark and 100 lbs of Rockwood 

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    That Tiffany Paxton thread is still active. Had a post last month. They also have quite a thread about a pastor marrying his long time girlfriend. Yellville is a gapping place!
  • RRP
    edited December 2015
    Options
    That Tiffany Paxton thread is still active. Had a post last month. They also have quite a thread about a pastor marrying his long time girlfriend. Yellville is a gapping place!
    yea, I caught that too. For kicks and giggles if anyone wants to read about Tiffany Paxton here's the link back to the start.
    http://www.topix.com/forum/city/yellville-ar/T84KSJ5BAL412TQHU

Note there are 2 pages.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    RRP said:
    yea, I caught that too. For kicks and giggles if anyone wants to read about Tiffany Paxton here's the link back to the start.
    http://www.topix.com/forum/city/yellville-ar/T84KSJ5BAL412TQHU

Note there are 2 pages.

** - Disclaimer - You will not see Santa Claus the right way after reading this. 
    FTFY
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    just acquired this bag of lump. Heard all good things about and the bad of course that you can't get it anymore..... I'm usually cook with rockwood, is there anything different I should try with this. Trying to make the most out of this bag. 
    Brother OO along with Rockwood are my favorite two lumps by far. Sad to see OO go the way of the buffalo. OO really stood out on beef in my opinion. While it is great on everything, that smooth almost sweet oak smoke that it imparts really shines on beef. It was simply spectacular on anything cut from the beef shoulder and brisket. Sure wish that OO would make a come back. When it was available, I pretty much used OO on beef and Rockwood for everything else. Now I use Rockwood exclusively along with a little wood. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Stupid autocorrect. Yellville is happening not gapping. 
  • RRP
    Options
    Stupid autocorrect. Yellville is happening not gapping. 
    Gapping works! I just imagine the average citizen there has a few missing teeth!
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
     RRP said:

Guilty as charged! I like to think of my trunk stash as being ballast!

As for hoarding - guess I'm also guilty as I typically always maintain a level of 600 pounds or more. I only use that OO in my medium for baking and I haven't baked much lately. BTW that medium is now 14 years old, never had wood nor meat cooked in it and still is sporting the original felt gasket and is merely tan inside!

@RRP if the original 14 year old gasket finally blows, let me know, I know a guy that sells replacement gaskets!

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• SmokyBear
    Options
    Did we ever find out what 'really' happened to OO?  Did they sell out to RO or someone else?
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)