Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The New Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a day

I rec'd this today and would like input on which recipes y'all have tried and would recommend.
LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
Rome, GA

Comments

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    edited December 2015
    I have done quite a few already despite only having the book for a couple weeks. The master dough is the way to start. I have done the master dough in a boule, a baguette, a Pain d'epi, and added starter culture to it for a more sourdough flavor. All were wonderful

This week I have been playing with the Brioche and olive oil doughs. There are a ton of variations once you have a few of the basic doughs. I would suggest looking into the Crafsty video tutorials if it's your first experience with bread baking. Zoe has a wonderful class where you can ask questions and make notes. It helps to see the process.

This video will help you with the forming of the dough after it's cooled down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDBJkxoNpE8

XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Thank you!
    Rome, GA
  • Thatgrimguy
    These were all "Master Dough" loaves.

This is the brioche recipe done in pull apart rolls in the front.

And you can see my Pain d'Epi attempt (I cut the pattern before the rest, should have done it just before baking)

Brioche pull aparts.

This is how my pain d'epi turned out.. Not so pretty but still tasty!

Have fun with it and just jump in. Even the attempts that don't turn out "right" are still good.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Here is the recipe I use all the time:

1 tsp Sugar
    1.5 tsp Instant Yeast
    1 Tbs Salt
    3 C All Purpose Flour
    1.25 C Warm Water

1st rise/set 2.5 hours. Second rise 45 min
    Added cheese to top of dough ball prior to putting on the Egg
    Cooked at 450* on the Green Egg 
    Internal temp to 200

Lake Keowee, SC
    XLarge, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Custom Table, KAB, Woo2, Guru DigiQ DX2,
    Family of 5 Meat Eaters
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Wow....I would be 400 lbs in no time. Please don't tell me where I can get one of these books?
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    @Thatgrimguy, you are making it hard for to diet and not want carbs.  That all looks wonderful. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Fantastic book. Great bread and super simple to make. Just watch yourself. You'll be making bread more than you should.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Plus a hundred ^^  That really is an excellent intro (and beyond) book for bread baking.  Just don't forget the Danish Dough Whisk!
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    Do you need a La Cloche or can you make it in cast iron?
  • You can make it in a La Cloche, but no need to unless cooking bread in the oven. The La Cloche mimics the effects of a ceramic cooker/brick oven. When cooking in the Green Egg you can use cast iron or just a pizza stone. Personally I use a stone, my father uses a La Cloche in the oven as he does not have an Egg.
    Lake Keowee, SC
    XLarge, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Custom Table, KAB, Woo2, Guru DigiQ DX2,
    Family of 5 Meat Eaters
  • Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    @A5firearms good to know I'll have to buy that book and start cranking out some bread!
  • Dammit! I'm gonna buy this book and gain 50#
  • Thatgrimguy
    edited December 2015
    Davec433 said:
    Do you need a La Cloche or can you make it in cast iron?
    I've done it in multiple ways in my electric oven that all turned out wonderful.

I have done the master dough: in enamel dutch oven and ci dutch oven, Emile Henry cloche, on stone with a cup of hot water on a broiler pan, on the green egg (straight on stone) and in pans also using the same steam trick. 

All methods seemed about equal. I do like the slight smokey hint I get from using the egg. Probably leftover grease burning out because I use fresh rockwood when baking.
  • Beautiful loaves!

@ northGAcock-I just got on Amazon for about $12 after discount
    Rome, GA
  • Thatgrimguy
    I did some if the Artisan in 5 brioche tonight!  Did a couple loaves, 4 in a pyrex together and 2 rolls alone on the stone just to get an idea of how all it can cook. I haven't tried the loaves yet because we made burgers out of the rolls. Incredible! (too much bread though)

• Is the bread light and airy like bakery?
    Rome, GA
  • Thatgrimguy
    Is the bread light and airy like bakery?
    Yes. I have been getting great crumb. The brioche is meant to be a tight structure but it's still very light.

• looks fanstastic!
    Rome, GA
  • Thatgrimguy
    I've really been over the top excited about this book since getting it.  I have already been baking sourdough for over a year now, but this is just SO much more accessible. I'm back into baking full force. I'm going to put together the "Brotchen" enhanced version of the master dough and the buttermilk doughs next.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Dammit! I'm gonna buy this book and gain 50#
    Off the ledge Yolk...don't pull the trigger......unless of course you have good butta!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Braggart
    Braggart Posts: 238
    Great thread!  Many thanks to the OP.  I've never tried bread on my egg, but after reading this I'm more than tempted.

Question:  does the bread smell/taste like oven bread, or is there a distinguishable BGE taste (smokey-ish)?

B
    Large BGE
    MMax BGE
    Weber gasser
    3 Dogs
    No neighbours 
    Living in Canada's bush
  • Thatgrimguy
    Braggart said:
    Great thread!  Many thanks to the OP.  I've never tried bread on my egg, but after reading this I'm more than tempted.

Question:  does the bread smell/taste like oven bread, or is there a distinguishable BGE taste (smokey-ish)?
    It completely depends on your method and what charcoal you are using.  Using a dutch oven, clean egg and rockwood, There is no smoke flavor. But I like a touch of it, so I don't go to extreme lengths to get a clean egg and I don't use a dutch oven. I do use clean lump and I burn rockwood which leaves no flavors.

The preheat is very important. I get my egg and all my stones up to 450 and hold it for an hour+ before any bread hits it. This makes sure any voc's are burned off and all the ceramic is at a good even 450.
  • @northGAcock I try to keep some KerryGold on hand. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    @northGAcock I try to keep some KerryGold on hand. 
    You should start a thread about butter.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867

I've seen pictures of you, you can afford it. :lol: 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    @Thatgrimguy wow! That's some amazing bread!!!  
    Are you on thefreshloaf?
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    I need some help in this area.  Is thefreshloaf a forum of sort?  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Thatgrimguy
    blind99 said:
    @Thatgrimguy wow! That's some amazing bread!!!  
    Are you on thefreshloaf?
    I've been creaping on that site, but they are still WAY over my head.  I did go ahead and join today though. 
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Craftsy has the Artisan Bread in Minutes class for half price now. http://www.craftsy.com/class/artisan-bread-in-minutes/4958?_ct=sbqii-sqjuweho-dum&_ctp=15&rceId=1449170512780~ipyk9fb5 It's usually $39.99, but it's $19.99 right now. Not sure how long it will be on sale. We really like the Craftsy platform.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    I very reluctantly had to almost quit baking bread completely a few years ago for the most part because of that and the resulting carbs/blood sugar issues.

Now my bread making is just pizza a couple times per month and an occasional no-knead loaf.

That said, I did buy that book when it came out and it is quite nice. I also bought another nice bread cook book a couple months ago called "The Hot Bread Kitchen Cookbook" which is really good and I will probably actually make a couple of their recipes at Christmas.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk