Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temperature drops

Hi all,

i have recently bought a large egg, with the intent of cooking the Christmas turkey on it.  I thought best to practice, which I have been doing with chickens.  I am managing to get up to and stabilising my desired temperature (350F) easily enough but as soon as I put the chicken in, the temperature drops to c 250F and it does not go back near to 350F, even after 45 minutes.

I have tried to research this, the constant message I read is that I should not chase the temperature back up.  Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong?

Now that Christmas is only 3 weeks away, I am starting to panic.

Many thanks.

Comments

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Make sure you stabilize the temp for a good 20 to 30 minutes before you put the turkey in.

also, make sure you have plenty of lump. Full it up to the fire ring, about halfway up the fire ring. Even pile it up to plate setter.

also a good tactic can be to bring the temp about 50 degrees past. Because when the bird goes in it will drop to desired temp
  • you put a large cold bird on the fire.  the temp will drop.  open vents a bit

the reason it takes 45 minutes, if you don't open the vents, is all the energy (or a lot of it) is going into the cold bird.

when you put a cold chicken in an oven, the temp drops.  the heating element cycles on to make up for it.  this is the same as opening vents a bit to compensate for adding the cold meat
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• It will come with experience and the learning curve is pretty short.  Soon you will learn how open vents should be (about) for the temp you want.  Keep cooking.  It is the best way to learn.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Welcome aboard!  Darby is accurate.  You're cooking to IT, or should be.  I wouldn't recommend going too far above your desired dome temp.  Easier to catch it coming up and anticipate the temp drop which is temporary.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Thanks.  Should I open the vents a bit, and once the temperature gets back to 350F, return them to the positions that gave me 350F before I put the bird in?
  • you open the vents to give it a little extra heat to overcome the cold bird.  so when you hit the temp you want, you simply close vents until it stops climbing.  it may or may not be the same settings as before.

take it easy on yourself

25 degrees either way is no issue at all

325, 350, 375... i don't care what the temp is as long as i am cooking to the internal temp
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Open the vents a bit and keep an eye on it occasionally.  Bring vents back to where you believe they will give you your desired T and about 25 deg below target T.  Baby sit a little more and fine tune.  Don't chase temp.  Higher than 350 better than lower for me but either will work. Cook to IT, impress all!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Have you tried a tasty adult beverage?  That seems to help with the onset of panic.  Also, try opening the vents a smidge for temp after putting the protein on the grid.  Keep an eye in the temp and enjoy the beverage and the ride.     
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Also go by temp not time.  Most BGE recipes seem to be double the time from what it has taken mine to cook between 300-350.  I brine my turkey and I don't know if it makes a difference or not.  I put mine in at 350 and it dropped to 300 and it took about 30 to 40 minutes for it to come back up to 350.  In the last 45 minutes I took it to 375 to get it done so I could let it rest for 30 minutes before carving.  Put 20 pound turkey in at 8 am and took off egg at noon.  Most recipes it says 6 to 7.  
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,023
    I don't adjust the vents when I put the protein on.  I let it ride.  Just don't dally with the lid open.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Something sounds off if a chicken is causing a stabilized large to drop in temp. How long are you letting the egg warm up?  With the temps drops you are talking about I'm guessing you are cooking indirect.  Are you letting the plate setter warm up with the egg or adding it right before the bird went in?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Are you putting the plate setter in as soon  as you get a good light? It's a good idea to warm it up while the Egg comes up to temp. 

As soon as I get a good light, I'll put in the plate setter, grate, and drip pans and let the Egg come up to temp and stabilize. Once I'm satisfied it's stabilized, I'll put the meat on. A big piece of meat like a turkey will act as a huge heat sink for a bit and it will take a while for the temp to come back up to what you had set. 

Be PATIENT and don't chase the temp. It will come back up. Once it does, you can make some adjustments to dial it in. You're going to cook to internal temp anyway, so the time to come back up to target temp doesn't matter.

Patience is the order of the day with Eggs. Be mindful of that, and the Egg will do you right every time you cook. 

South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS