Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock Follow up w/pics

Options
OK, so I asked for a good recipe for spatchcock turkey and got a couple of ideas.  Looking at those, and a couple other ideas, here's what I went with.  Started with a 11 lb bird from Central Market.  Backbone removed and breastplate broken.  No brining this year. 

Not sure, but I think I have seen this in an alien movie.

For rubs, I doubled up.  About 25% of a standard all purpose rub, the remainder with a variation of herbs de Provence.  Both on the skin and under the skin and on the breast meat. 

Here she is about half way though the cook.  Temp was 320 dome.  No platesetter. 

Cook time was 90 minutes.   Compare that to between 2 1/2 - 3 hours for traditional oven roasting. 
Finished product.  I confess that I forgot to snap a photo of the bird being carved, but I was the one doing the carving and we were scrambling to get the food on the table.  Juices were flowing, and the flavoring from the herbs de Provence were spectacular. 

XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.

Comments

• jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Yes that IS the Alien.... Nice cook!!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Looks great. The only way to do a small turkey (<15#) treat it like a chicken......mine never makes it to the platter with the wings intact. They always fall off and get Mickey'd on the hot coals. (well that's what i tell SWMBO and so far she has bought it)
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Nice!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Looks great.... Spatchcock hard to beat..
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"