Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ouch!!!!

Options
Morning All:

Since we aren't doing the Thanksgiving bird until Sunday I decided to clean out & replace my broken firebox...

I've been using it this way since May and had the replacement for at least a couple months...the problem was that the bottom of the two broken sections wouldn't stay in place so I kept losing lump through there.

After I pulled the old firebox out and wiped down the interior I found this (at about the 2 o'clock position)...

and slightly different angle...

I don't think the crack is all the way through the shell (I can't really get a good look at the outside)...I went ahead and put in the new firebox & ring and will use it on Sunday, but guess I need to contact my dealer (very good dealer so won't be a problem getting a replacement).

Oh well that's the life of an Egghead!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Sorry to see that but having a good dealer s fantastic news...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • U2Pilot
    Options
    I'm a newbie and still trying to decide to buy an egg or not. 
    Is this a reguler problem with the egg or an exception and not the rule? 
    What causes this to happen? Just asking and certainly not joining a finger.
  • Beavercreek_Smoker
    Options
    I had my LBGE for a couple years. Recently found a crack in my fire ring. Haven't called dealer yet but that's been my only issue. 
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options

Morning U2Pilot:

Do NOT hesitate buying an EGG...this Egg is probably 10 years old and used very often and having a shell crack isn't the rule...the firebox/ring are more prone to cracking, even those don't happen often...best part though is knowing that the BGE warranty takes care of it with minimal hassle (especially if you have a good dealer).

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• gearslut
    Options
    ya know....my firebox too has some hairline cracks....Iv had my egg now for about going on 4 years....I think I first noticed the crackling in the first 6-8 months.....im concerned every time I see them then forget about it until the next clean out. Im not sure BGE or my dealer would replace it if it did break after 4 years of use.....we'll have to see when that time comes.

• gearslut
    Options
    I'm sorry.....I just noticed this is the EGG itself crackling not the firebox.....Yeah I would reach out to the dealer ASAP....Good luck
  • bob.bud
    bob.bud Posts: 297
    Options
    @U2Pilot it happens, and in most cases, it has happened after putting the egg through its paces and many good meals. But with a lifetime warranty... no one really worries about it. 

Jump in, its great... but be forewarned, your new obsession will have you opening up that wallet a few times. My justification, why pay someone to cook <insert meal here> when I can do a better job on the egg? Aside from the meal being better, the booze is much more affordable. And in the end, the money saved helps to justify more purchases to support the habit.
    Bloomfield Hills, MI | LGBE : AR R & B Oval Combo w/Extender and Sliding D Grid : Kick Ash Basket : Smokeware Cap : Smobot Beta
  • Little Steven
    Options
    That will teach you for cleaning it out Jay. Seriously, I've had that in a couple of bases.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options

Morning Steven:

I agree...I shouldn't have cleaned it out...this is my second base with a crack, but no big deal.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Trixie_Belle
    Options
    U2Pilot said:
    I'm a newbie and still trying to decide to buy an egg or not. 
    Is this a reguler problem with the egg or an exception and not the rule? 
    What causes this to happen? Just asking and certainly not joining a finger.
    I've had my large BGE since April.  It's the best decision I've ever made!  I love the versatility it offers...from low and slow cooking to high heat cooking.   There is a learning curve...but  I enjoy that aspect of it.  Plus, I have this wonderful forum to visit when I have questions.   
    BGE novice...A Southern Belle living in Seattle.