Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thanksgiving Disasters or Near Disasters--Let the Stories Begin--Here's Mine

Options
My Egg wouldn't close.  With help from Jaman I pulled the grate, set the roast pan in the inverted place setter.  Worked out but just barely.

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    No feast or spirits here whatsoever. Spent 4 hours in an emergency room. All is well with no serious issues......but missed the family gathering and scared hell out of the wif. Much to catch up on over the weekend.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    @SGH- you win!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @SGH- you win!
    I only win by default because it wasn't planned =)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bob.bud
    bob.bud Posts: 297
    Options
    +1 on @sgh is a winner.

@northGAcock, happy to hear it was nothing serious. Had one of those scares a few years back - turned out to be heartburn, but with family history, as soon as they heard pain in the chest, they followed protocol and kept me overnight.

As for my near disaster this Thansgiving... temp probe was reading high (>30 degrees high), almost prematurely pulled the bird. A quick check with instant read thermometer suggested otherwise and I repositioned the remote probe.

Bloomfield Hills, MI | LGBE : AR R & B Oval Combo w/Extender and Sliding D Grid : Kick Ash Basket : Smokeware Cap : Smobot Beta
  • Gdfein
    Gdfein Posts: 60
    Options
    After a couple weeks planning for the big cook, my daughter (10) woke up sick at 2a.  What followed was a few hours of projectile vomit with me and mama taking turns with her. Well by 8a the little one was better, but then it was mine and mama's turn to pray to the porcelain God. Suffice it to say the whole house was on a diet of saltine crackers and ginger ale yesterday instead of the BGE turkey and trimmings feast we had planned. 

We we are on the mend and gong to try an abbreviated celebration today as the bird needs to be cooked. 
    BGE XL Woodlands, TX (Originally from Buffalo, NY but I got here as fast as I could)
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Well I agree that @SGH wins hands down. Thank goodness his wife saved the day. Mine is minor, but we took our turkey out of the freezer last Friday to thaw in the garage fridge. Decided Wednesday to move to the inside fridge. It was still partially frozen! What the heck - put in the sink with cold water for awhile and checked the temp in the other fridge with a thermometer. It registered 34 degrees. We ran it up to 38 and put the turkey back in to finish. It was fine the next morning. No wonder the beer was so good from that fridge. Duh.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • SGH
    Options
    Dredger said:
    Well I agree that @SGH wins hands down. 
    Sister this is one victory that I'm not really proud off ;)

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Sister this is one victory that I'm not really proud off

Small comfort, I know, but I'm sure that a lot, if not most of us have a few of those types of stories we could share, lol.

Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    Options
    Mine seemed more intense yesterday (before I read some others)  B) I was doing first spatchock turkey.  First I worried about the thaw - had to put it in the water bath Wednesday night.  Then I worried about it being to big for the LBGE.  17# bird.  Then I forgot to turn the legs to the back - had it turned backwards.  I had the egg stable at 400 with the smoke chunks on for 20 min or so.  After I put on the bird, the temp dropped which I expected.  Bit then, it wouldn't come back up.  I started opening more air.  I pulled the thermometer out a little to make sure it wasn't touching the bird.  Everything seemed to be pointing to it being hotter than the dome temp reading - quickly darking skin, billowing exhaust, flare ups when open.  I turns the grate around so legs were opposite the intake.  Dome temp jumped to 450.  Worked on backing down while worrying about a burnt bird.  In the end, the neck skin, and a few small spots of skin were chard, but the meat was moist, tender, and delicious.  I love the bge.
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    My Egg wouldn't close.  With help from Jaman I pulled the grate, set the roast pan in the inverted place setter.  Worked out but just barely.
    Just curious, what went wrong?
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • BrisketBob
    Options
    Since it wouldn't quite close I figured It could get it hot enough anyway  but It didn't. I tried to close the space with duct tape but it didn't work.
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    Options
    It's Thanksgiving Day.   Four generations of family are all there seated around the table, along with some friends from the neighborhood, and my students.

Overweight Grandpa Lee is getting some good-natured ribbing from Grandma Grace about his weight.  "Better hold off on the potatoes, Lee, you're gonna lose your boyish figure."  Lee stands up in front of the whole crowd, strikes a Charles Atlas muscle man pose and sucks in his gut to simulate rock-hard abs.

Problem is, Grandpa has forgotten to wear his suspenders as he usually does, and there is nothing to keep his baggy pants from falling completely to the floor -- taking his boxer shorts along with them.  The result is, Grandpa Lee standing there in a body-builder pose naked from the waist down, in front of his wife, the kids the grandkids and their kids, who are now all staring in slack-jawed astonishment at a sight they could never have imagined being witness to, much less on Thanksgiving Day

Some things you can't unsee.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    @SGH - A lot of folks write LOL when something is amusing.  Buddy, I laughed out loud!  Funny story.  Thanks.

Oh yeah, things turned out well over here.
    Flint, Michigan
  • SGH
    Options
    Funny story.  Thanks.

The sad part is, the story is true. I haven't been drunk in a long time. Now I remember why I quit drinking. I always end up naked, in jail or both. My wife is still pissed. 

Status- Standing by.

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    @sgh in my younger days I passed out in front of the toilet many times. I don't remember ever passing out on the toilet, much less mid grumpy.   In about ten years when she gets over it, I'm sure you will both laugh. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,950
    edited November 2015
    Options
    SGH said:
    Funny story.  Thanks.

The sad part is, the story is true. I haven't been drunk in a long time. Now I remember why I quit drinking. I always end up naked, in jail or both. My wife is still pissed. 
    There is no worse feeling than waking up on a cement floor and seeing bars in front of your face, my friend.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    @SGH I can say I don't ever remember passing out drunk on the toilet, I do remember waking up there a few times though...

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • BrisketBob
    Options
    @sgh in my younger days I passed out in front of the toilet many times. I don't remember ever passing out on the toilet, much less mid grumpy.   In about ten years when she gets over it, I'm sure you will both laugh. 
    Good deeds have a short shelf life, screw ups last forever especially when the little woman is concerned.Great story though. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    edited November 2015
    Options
    @SGH - perhaps one of those "I would have to rally to die" feelings??  The holiday season seems to more easily enable some out-of-character happenings.  Geez, just look at @JohnInCarolina's above post.  
    Regardless, full props for laying it out there on the forum and enjoy your oyster feed with @nolaegghead on Sat.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    SGH said:
    I don't know if this counts or not, but yesterday I did something that I haven't done in quite sometime. I got tore up from the floor up. In my drunken state I fell asleep on the crapper in mid grumpy. How is this a near disaster? I did it in the guest bathroom with a house full of guests. Somehow I was naked and left the door open as well. Luckily it was my wife who discovered me and not one of the guests. So disaster was avoided, but it was a close call. The wife was furious to say the least. Hey all ended well though. Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. 

Here is a bathroom story from last week, I typically close the door when I am on the crapper but the inflight movie had just started and I didn't want to miss the opening scenes. Not as funny as your story but...
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina Hillarious! I'm sure he'll be pretty embarrassed at family get together a from now on.

@RRP SWIMBO and I get in the same arguments all the time. Funny I didn't freak out when she traded in the Dyson and a thousand dollars for some garbage Kirby.

Mines not nearly as bad as everyone else's but as I went to lift the Turkey out to pour the juices it slipped out of my hand and bounced around on the kitchen island stopping inches before going over and crashing to the floor.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    Davec433 said:

@RRP SWIMBO and I get in the same arguments all the time. Funny I didn't freak out when she traded in the Dyson and a thousand dollars for some garbage Kirby.

Obviously you didn't read the thread I started last night. This firestorm was not with my wife!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    No feast or spirits here whatsoever. Spent 4 hours in an emergency room. All is well with no serious issues......but missed the family gathering and scared hell out of the wif. Much to catch up on over the weekend.
    I'm glad you are ok my friend. 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Glad you are alright, the bright side is you didn't gain another 5lbs or so like the rest of us. Go Cocks!

Johns Creek, Georgia