Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help Needed.... Brining Question

Options
So I may or may not have made a boo boo earlier.  I am new to the world of brining.  I ended up making the pioneer woman's brine recipe for one of the turkeys I'm cooking tomorrow and it's currently soaking.  Problem is that it was a previously frozen turkey. Frozen turkeys are typically preserved with a solution of turkey broth, salt and sugar.  Fresh turkeys obviously are not.  My question is:  Are you not supposed to brine previously frozen turkeys?  Is brining only for fresh turkeys?  I'm reading conflicting reviews.  

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    You are fine. Salt in the meat will be an equilibrium thing. You won't get it too salty. Brine on.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Buddy, I have brined a frozen bird with great results.  This year, I happened to dry brine a frozen bird and it was good too.  

I don't think you'll have an issue.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Disclaimer:  I am not an authority on this.

.....but good sense tells me that as long as you keep the salt levels lower, you'll be ok
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,054
    Options
    Ok thx guys!  Y'all are awesome. 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    All frozen turkeys aren't brined. Would have said on the package I think. Enjoy. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Dyal_SC
    Options
    All frozen turkeys aren't brined. Would have said on the package I think. Enjoy. 
    The ones I got say "all natural", but they also say "contains 9.5% of a natural solution."  Either way, I got them both for only 57 cents per lb.  so if the brined one sucks, I'm not losing much money.  Lol. I'm sure it'll turn out fine though after reading y'all's comments. Thx again!

• NewNashEgg
    Options
    Excellent price for a hormone free bird
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I used Ree Drumond's brine recipe too and it was great. 
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Dyal_SC
    Options
    Good to know @jhl192 !  I didn't have apple cider -- when I was shopping at the store, I misread and thought the recipe called for apple cider vinegar. So instead of the apple cider, I improvised and used Sam Adams Boston Lager instead.  The brine smelled awesome though.  

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    The "natural* solution" listed on the label is not the same as a brined bird, so go ahead and brine away. Fresh turkeys also contain the same solution, just at a lower % (with most brands, but not all).  A truly brined bird will be labeled as brined.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Dyal_SC
    Options
    Thx @jtcBoynton !  Good to know!  Here is Ree Drummond's link where she comments on it.  She makes it seem like a deal breaker almost.  

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/my-favorite-turkey-brine/
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    SOAB, @Dyal_SC, I thought it read Apple cider vinegar too and that's what I used!! Turned out great.  Will go with apple cider next time. 
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    It's hilarious that a turkey says "gluten free"   
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    It's hilarious that a turkey says "gluten free"   
    Most people don't even know what gluten is. It's fun to ask someone who is "gluten free" because of some reason other than celiac what gluten actually is. They rarely know.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    The natural solutions listed on the turkey wrappers are just a nice way to say they added water to the turkey during processing. They include some salt and sugar to help flavor, but they do not take the time to actually brine the bird. Frozen birds typically add enough water to increase the weight by 7-10%. Fresh birds typically around 5%.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    The reason for solution added is that people prefer to way overcook their food

Complaints of 'dry' turkey from consumers have caused suppliers to try to gird the bird against overcooking.

Coupled with the clamor from a presumably "health conscious" consumerate for lower fat meats (see: the demise of commercial pork quality) means the only way to do that, to protect against infidels, is to add as much water as possible

yes. They do take the time "to brine". just not leisurely   They inject it

today the proto-foodies are up in arms because they discovered their butterballs have solution added, and think it is because added 5-8% by weight is purely for a money grab. Really, it's done because they know if you are a typical american foodophobe, you'll cook it way past 'done'. That liitlr red thermometer pops at 185 in the breast. The meat doesnt stand a chance
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]