Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Thanksgiving Yet (Pics)

Options
Hello all,
We had a very small crew this year, so of course I WAY overcooked (haha). I smoked a 7# turkey breast and an 8# ham (cured but not smoked in cryo) on the egg with a fair bit of apple. The turkey was rubbed lightly with olive oil then a medium light coat of John Henry Mojave Garlic Pepper and a somewhat lighter coat of DP Red Eye. This sat in the fridge overnight in an AL pan lightly covered with foil. The ham was scored deeply and refridgerated along side the turkey, but no seasoning was added (nor extracted via soaking). Started the fire at about 8AM and noticed dome thermo was toast as documented in earlier thread. Set up the egg for: lump/apple/woo/stone/grid/pan with water (at felt line)/AR on third slot down/grid. Anything higher than that and the lid was hitting the meat. Let the dome stabilize at about 300 using a probe hung through the DFMT. Dropped temp to about 225 after ~ 2 hours because I was cooking a bit too fast. All the meat and a full pan of water went on at about 10:30am. At about 2pm I gave the turkey a brush with melted butter. At about 3pm I gave the ham a glaze of melted butter, maple syrup, and red pepper flakes. Pulled it all off about 4 and carved/ate at 4:30. The turkey was unbelieveably moist and very flavorful. The ham was unreal! Maybe in the top five cooks on my egg ever. Salty and smoky with a cruchy, tacky, delicious glazed rind. WOW! Full menu included roasted garlic and Parmesan mashed potatoes, roasted Brussels sprouts w/ bacon and Parmesan, sweet potatoes with maple syrup and pie spices, multigrain sourdough rye, and turkey sausage gravy. In all honesty it was perhaps the best Thanksgiving meal I've ever had!

Hope you all had a great day, here's a bit of proof:

Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI

Comments