Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Oven rack

Options
henapple
henapple Posts: 16,025
For some reason Sher-bear wanted the oven racks cleaned before Thanksgiving. The first three were hell. Fwiw, I found another way. Double 33 gal garbage bags, put rack in and half to one qt of ammonia. The next day the crud wipes off with a rag. Just a tip from your Uncle Henapple. Happy Thanksgiving. 
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    henapple said:
     Just a tip from your Uncle Henapple. Happy Thanksgiving. 
    Happy Thanksgiving to you Uncle Apple. Hope it was a great one brother. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    So you just dump the ammonia in there with the grids, or do you need to pour it over the grids? Or it doesn't matter? My fryer still needs some cleaning and I'm wondering if this would work.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @henapple - For the record, you are still my favorite uncle even though you didn't send me my shirt ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Thought you were going to say wrap in bacon to get it lubed up, then scrape with piece of ozark oak then rinse with PBR??
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    I've done similar with a plastic drop cloth and oven cleaner spray. The mis-GA sunshine heats up the interior and gets the juices rolling nicely!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• LetsEat
    LetsEat Posts: 458
    Options
    I realize we are post Thanksgiving but I just finished cleaning my oven. I too have had great success with the ammonia process that  @henapple described but quite frankly I was too lazy to mess with it after Thanksgiving. As an alternative, I placed all the oven racks in the dishwasher and washed on "potscrubber". They came out looking like new!  
    IL 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Someone needs to tell Tony his moobs are a "nice rack".
    Options
    SGH said:
    @henapple - For the record, you are still my favorite uncle even though you didn't send me my shirt ;)
    Shipping tomorrow... Again 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    DMW said:
    So you just dump the ammonia in there with the grids, or do you need to pour it over the grids? Or it doesn't matter? My fryer still needs some cleaning and I'm wondering if this would work.
    Just dump the ammonia. It's the fumes that breaks the crud down.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Yep...