Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2 turkeys on an XL help

Options

I was planning on doing a 28lb again this year, but couldn't find a turkzilla so I have to go with 2 14lb birds.  I am planning on doing spatchcock raised direct at 375-400.  Will both birds fix on my XL grate or will I have to use my adj rig and do one above the other?

I will use firebricks underneath the birds to make them lay not so flat.  Any advice from an XL user would be appreciated. 

If I have to one above the other how will it affect the cook time with one being direct and the other being indirect?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    No XL owner here but would they fit on a single grid if facing in opposite directions?
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • tangogolf719
    Options
    I have a similar question as the OP.  I don't have the adj. rig setup, but would like to cook 2 spatched turkeys (11.5 # each) at the same time on my XL using direct with brick-aided raised grid.  Not sure if they will fit, so I'm curious if anyone has accomplished two of this size at same time.  
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    No help here, I am however doing a 18.5 spatched indirect on my XL at 375/400, In the brining process right now.
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE