Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Tenderloin

Options
I just recently had beef tenderloin for the first time at Capital Grille in Sarasota.  Man, oh man, unbelievably flavorful to say the least.  Any tenderloin addicts here?  How do you egg em?
The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.

Comments

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Filet mignon

au poivre

tenderloin roast (chateaubriand)

Beef wellington

stuffed tenderloon roast

all good stuff

nor a lot of flavor, so usually you add something to it. Tender though, that's responsible for the premium
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    Reverse sear, cook to an IT of 110F, then finish to your perferred temp.  I like to cook whole until I'm ready to finish, then cut filet sized pieces for the final sear.  My CI pan is smaller so I need more manageable size pieces.

Herb butter is a must.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    This cut of meat is so versatile, there are so any ways to cook, and it is very difficult not have some measure of success.
    We do whole tenderloins very often. If you choose to do these, get some butchers twine, and fold back the thin end until it meets the thickness of the rest of the loin, tie it off. I use olive oil followed by a rub, low and slow @225F, until around 110F IT (I smoke with a blend of cherry and pecan), pull let rest while increasing BGE temp to reverse sear to preferred IT. We serve on a platter sliced. Looks beautiful, tastes outstanding, zero chance for leftovers.
    Occasionally  we let the thin side go without tying off. We cut that well done section off and make the best burnt ends you will ever taste .
    Either way, have fun and enjoy the ride.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Thanks for the advice.  What am I asking my butcher for?  Whole beef tenderloin?
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
      What am I asking my butcher for?  Whole beef tenderloin?
    It depends on what you plan on doing with it. If you are just wanting to roast a beef tenderloin, then a whole one is fine. However if you are just wanting to cut a few fillets yourself, then look for the center section of a tenderloin. This section of the tenderloin is the most uniform and consistent in shape and produces near identical looking steaks. Plus if you are just making steaks you do not need the tail section as it is useless for good steaks. Buying the center section only will save you some money and keep down waste when you are just making steaks. Depending on your location you can usually find tenderloin for sale 4 different ways. The whole tenderloin, the center portion, the butt (or head) and the tail. For roasting go with the whole tenderloin. For making steaks the center cut is my preferred cut for the reasons stated above. For some of the fancy dishes such as beef Wellington, the butt and center cut look the best, but you can use the whole thing any way that you want. It all taste great. Just thought that I would share......

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Love whole tenderloin on the egg. Costco sells them trimmed or untrimmed. I prefer the latter because it's a lot cheaper and the trimming only takes a few minutes. Take off all the silver skin and extra fat. 

As above I also fold under the thin end to make it uniform. I like a flavorful rub because tenderloin doesn't have a lot of fat for flavor. Some people also like a flavorful sauce. 

I also reverse sear. I pull around 100-105 then sear to 120. 

It's a great cook because it is very quick to do, maybe 1.5 hrs start to finish. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    wrap tenderloin steaks in bacon.....adds flavor
    Options
    SGH said:
      What am I asking my butcher for?  Whole beef tenderloin?
    It depends on what you plan on doing with it. If you are just wanting to roast a beef tenderloin, then a whole one is fine. However if you are just wanting to cut a few fillets yourself, then look for the center section of a tenderloin. This section of the tenderloin is the most uniform and consistent in shape and produces near identical looking steaks. Plus if you are just making steaks you do not need the tail section as it is useless for good steaks. Buying the center section only will save you some money and keep down waste when you are just making steaks. Depending on your location you can usually find tenderloin for sale 4 different ways. The whole tenderloin, the center portion, the butt (or head) and the tail. For roasting go with the whole tenderloin. For making steaks the center cut is my preferred cut for the reasons stated above. For some of the fancy dishes such as beef Wellington, the butt and center cut look the best, but you can use the whole thing any way that you want. It all taste great. Just thought that I would share......
    Thanks for explaining....
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Thanks for explaining....
    My pleasure as always my friend. Hope that y'all have a safe and Happy Thanksgiving. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.