Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

To stuff or not to stuff...that is the question

Options
Looking forward to my first Thanksgiving turkey on the egg. I have an 18 pound butterball and am going to air dry overnight, inject with creole butter and am torn between using pecan or cherry wood indirect at 350.  My question is, should I stuff the bird with anything like lemons or onions or should I leave the cavity empty? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    When you stuff something that large, it will take a LONG time for the stuffing to actually cook. If you want a couple of things for flavor, then that would be fine, but I never ever stuff the turkey. A little herbs, maybe a quartered onion or something like that would be fine. It's better to cook the stuffing separate so you know it's cook and it's not soggy and nasty when it comes out of the bird.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,381
    Options
    @Toxarch has it.  Loosely put some aromatics in the cavity and focus on the turkey cook.  Stuffing cook in the clock box.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • elbee63
    Options
    Think I will put some lemon and onion quarters and fingers crossed its delish! 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Yup, garlick, herbs, s & p too.  I use orange but lemon is fine?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • GaryLange
    Options
    Don't stuff it. It will take longer for heat to penetrate and cause the breasts to over cook. It also does not heat the stuffing to proper temp. Do the stuffing in the oven and cook the Turkey at 325* for about 3.5 hours with an internal thermometer so you can monitor it. Take off when it reaches 160* in the breast. Don't wrap or tie the legs or wings and it will be done. If you can brine for 24 hours with a Turkey Poultry brine then let dry off in the fridge uncovered so the skin drys and it will brown nicely. Check amazingribs.com for the Ultimate Turkey recipe.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I remove my turkey when the breast is 150F or even less if I'm cooking above 400F - 145F.