Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Drip pan and Basting Question

Options
So I am all ready to egg my Thanksgiving turkey but have a question for the experts.  What do you put in the drip pan on the egg? I assume you use whatever liquid in the drip pan to baste the turkey.  How often do you baste? Any pointers will be helpful. 

Comments

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I don't put anything in the dip pan and I didn't baste my turkey last year.  I did brine it for 24 hours and let it air dry in the fridge for 24 hours.  The egg does a great job of keeping chicken or turkey moist as long as you don't over cook it.  If you put liquid in the pan make sure you keep it in there.  When it evaporates the temp will shoot up.  If like to baste I would use what you have in the past.  Good luck, the fun about this is learning.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Rub it down good with oil, apply rub, and let it cook without basting.  When you pull it out, put pats of butter over it, and rest your bird with foil tented over it.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • DaBudDawg
    Options
    How long to smoke it per pound at 250?
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    DaBudDawg said:
    How long to smoke it per pound at 250?
    I'd bump it up to 325 minimum.  That should put you at about 15 min per pound and should produce better skin.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Little Steven
    Options
    The Mad Max method uses a half litre of wine poured over the bird. Typically you don't use liquid in the egg because the environment is already moist and liquid will hold the egg temp down until it boils off or gets a high enough fat content that it doesn't steam. @fishlessman did a study one year on cooking times for the Mad Max style and it worked out 12 to 15 minutes per pound. I have never really basted in the egg cause it usually produces crisp skin without doing it.

Steve 

Caledon, ON