Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

FERAL HOG HIND QUARTER

Options
PALAPA
PALAPA Posts: 4
Friend of mine just gave me a hind quarter from a wild pig that probably weighs 9 or 10 pounds. What would be the best way to cook this on my XL Egg? Any help would be greatly appreciated because I have never cooked one before. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    I've done a couple with mixed results.  I basically cooked it like a pork shoulder and pulled it when it got tender.  The problem with it is that it is very lean so it dries out quickly.  I was thinking that the next time I do one I would wrap it in foil after I got some bark.

If it smells very gamey, you can soak it in some pineapple juice for a while (30-60 minutes) - but don't think of it as a brine as the pineapple juice will make the meat mushy after a relatively short time. 

Brining or injecting would probably help with the moisture.

On a straight cook with no brine, no injection, and no foil it's pretty good eating as long as you get it off quickly when it gets tender - but going forward I'll probably make a habit of using some combination of brine or injection +/- foil. 

Good luck. I hope that helps.

Post some pics.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Canned pineapple juice has much less efficacy as a meat tenderizer than fresh because the bromelain (proteolytic enzymes) are mostly denatured through the pasteurization process.