Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to make fresh BS hash browns?

all the BLackatone users out there?

any recomendations for making them fresh? By hand? Or using a slicer?

i have perfected pancakes and bacon... But not hash browns

Comments

• I haven't tried fresh, but the frozen you have to leave them alone for what seems like way too long. Always feel like I'm going to burn them. 

I I would think with fresh there's going to be a lot of moisture. Maybe press between some paper towels to get as dry as possible?
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    @slovelad   I've tried them loose, and recently I've tried them pressed.

I've had best resuts when using more oil that I thought I should, and as @theyolksonyou  said, I leave them alone longer than my gut tells me.

I still can't replicate Denny's style hash browns, so I'll be watching other responses.
    Phoenix 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited November 2015
    Fresh shredded Russets are my preference, mostly due to the crispy texture added.  Get rid of excess water with a cheesecloth and wooden spoon, twisting to squeeze.   A par-cook for a couple of minutes in the microwave helps too. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,739
    ive had to make rappie pie before but its the same process. grate potato in a cheese grater, rinse well, stuff in an old sock and tie off, use the spin cycle in the washer to dry them a bit =) assemble rappie pie or put them in grease to fry. ;)  after you dry them, nuke them a few minutes before frying, they cook alot faster.  what i like better though is pioneer woman smashed potatoes fried, you want the tiny new potatoes skin on, boil them and refrigerate. when needed pop them flat in the palm of your hand and drop in oil, when crisp, remove and salt them. these are great camping, goes with eggs and can be used in a fish fry
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Focker
    edited November 2015
    Yes, crash hots are the bomb too.  But might not work on a griddle vs a sheet pan in the egg or oven. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• fishlessman
    on the blacksone, baked whole potatoe chilled, sliced 1/4 inch thick and tossed on some bacon grease til crisp and brown, no need for shredded =)
    fukahwee maine

• Focker
    edited November 2015
    The Maid-Rite a block down from my house makes the best damn HBs, hard to beat with overeasy eggs and applewood smoked bacon and toast......best eats. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• fishlessman
    edited November 2015
    if your in new england, this is hash browns, you only see the shredded stuff in chains. if you add beets to it, its red flannel hash

fukahwee maine

• Focker
    We call that Hot German Potato Salad.  =)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Never made fresh ones, but I get better results when I thaw the frozen ones first before throwing on the Blackstone.  Using them frozen I just cannot get the look, feel, and taste I want either.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Focker
    Tried sweet potatoes in the Griswold WI once from a Paleo cookbook.....a train wreck. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Use these......they are seriously as good as fresh.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Thinking about trying some hash from red potatoes on Wednesday morning, I will post some pics on how that goes
  • fishlessman
    Focker said:
    We call that Hot German Potato Salad.  =)
    this one has potatoes beets parsnip carrot turnip, and corned beef =) the trick is to crisp burn the bottom, dont go flipping it once it starts to set up

c8d8fbfdjpg

fukahwee maine

• Bought some shredded potatoes in a bag last Friday to try hash browns.  They were never frozen.  I cooked some bacon first and tried throwing down the hash browns straight into the bacon grease.  I could tell pretty quickly I didn't have enough grease so I drizzled a little vegetable oil on top.  It did help but I think it would have been better if it was there while the potatoes were still cold.

Look forward to reading other people's experiences as well.  Would love to replicate the Ihop or Denny's texture.  There's no way they shred fresh potatoes at the restaurant.  Probably just way more oil than everyone here is using.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564

This is one item I have not mastered as of yet. The issue is the water in the potatoes. As they cook they release the moisture/steam and prolong the cooking time.

So the more water you can remove the better the hash browns. My next try will be to thaw frozen in an open bowl in the fridge for a day or two. Stirring them a few times.

Similar to drying chicken parts.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I haven't nailed hash browns either.  I tried fresh once and it was a mushy mess.  As others noted you need to get the moisture out.  I have experienced first hand if you do not do this, they will suck.  Next time I try these I'm going for this technique.  Basically squeeze out moisture, par-cook them in the microwave, then fry them. 

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/06/shredded-hash-browns-recipe.html

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Hotch said:

This is one item I have not mastered as of yet. The issue is the water in the potatoes. As they cook they release the moisture/steam and prolong the cooking time.

So the more water you can remove the better the hash browns. My next try will be to thaw frozen in an open bowl in the fridge for a day or two. Stirring them a few times.

I'm dead serious with these.  They are dehydrated and all you do is add water and let sit for 5 mins.  Then place in pan.....they crisp up perfectly in a short amount of time and have great flavor.  Just like in a restaurant.  Give it a shot - you won't be disappointed.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited November 2015
    Hotch said:

I'm dead serious with these.  They are dehydrated and all you do is add water and let sit for 5 mins.  Then place in pan.....they crisp up perfectly in a short amount of time and have great flavor.  Just like in a restaurant.  Give it a shot - you won't be disappointed.  

I've seen the dehydrated ones at Costco - different brand but same concept and packaging.  I think I'll give them a try, thanks.
    Phoenix 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited November 2015
    This all helps. But the real key is ringing out hte potatoes. leaving them out to dry for a half hour then wringing them again.  I have only made great hashbrowns once and it was more work than it was worth.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    blasting said:
    Hotch said:

I've seen the dehydrated ones at Costco - different brand but same concept and packaging.  I think I'll give them a try, thanks.

I bought a pack of the ones from Costco, they turned out great!  Very easy while camping as well..
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • tarheelmatt
    We need an insider that works for Waffle House.
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Hotch

I have the ones from Costco. They were Ok at best. But still took to long and hard to make them stick together and crunchy.

I think we need to defer to @NPHuskerFL . Blake sounds like we need to get the skinny from the Flat Top Master, your son. How about it?

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • tarheelmatt
    Hotch said:

I have the ones from Costco. They were Ok at best. But still took to long and hard to make them stick together and crunchy.

I think we need to defer to @NPHuskerFL . Blake sounds like we need to get the skinny from the Flat Top Master, your son. How about it?

Oh yeah,  that's right.  

A Huddle House insider will work too!
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Waffle House uses the dehydrated form mentioned above.  I don't work there but I've been drunk there enough times and observed them making the next batch. 

I've had success dicing russet potatoes and then microwaving them in a single layer (or as single as possible) to allow the moisture to steam away.  I then just fry them in bacon grease.  This gives the fluffy interior and crispy exterior that I like.  These are more like southern homestyle potatoes, so I'm not sure what your looking for in hashbrown style. 
  • Focker
    Thanks @Hotch for input on the dehydrated HJs.  Didn't know how the flavor would hold up.  Even the shredded frozen ones are bland.  Peeps also think the Bisquick shake and bake pancakes are the greatest thing since sliced bread.   
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Hotch

@Focker They are potatoes, they need heavy seasoning. Next time I do them I will use Gee. Being clarified butter you can put some in a small bowl, warm it a little, load it up with a good rub. Let it sit for a day or so.

I use @EggObsessed 's It's My Rub Power Blend in a lot of oil based stuff. My Not so White Salsa, mostly miracle whip and my Its my Rub Nuts. 

It is mostly oil soluble and will partake flavors into Gee. Then use that Gee to cook the starch.

BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    @Hotch I'll ask @HuddleHouseCook to chime in
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    At home....Other than using commercial derived dehydrated. We make use of our spiralizer and/or cheese grater on the larger holes. Oil in a hot pan or flattop and seasoning of choice.  
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Well here it is... I just shredded up 3 small red potatoes.

i rung them out 2 times with thick paper towels.

then I flattened them out and nuked them for 2 minutes.

they came out pretty dry and sticky. So I used my egg molds for making them round.

i will throw them on the BLACKSTONE in the morning and post pictures.