Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock vs. Traditional Roast?

Options
Been reading about a lot of folks having great success with traditional roast (longer, lower, non-spatchcocked) on their eggs. I have had good success with spatchcocked turkey's but was wondering if it's worth trying the more traditional approach? Any opinions appreciated.

Comments

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    If you have spatchcocked dialed in, there really isn't any advantage to go whole round bird. You can get a Norman Rockwell worthy presentation with a round bird, but I think a spatchcocked bird on a platter has just as much eye appeal.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    im all about the gravy, hard to beat the mad max gravy
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • coastalegg
    Options
    I hear you about the gravy. Read some strong comments on that.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    the best of both worlds is to freeze the gravy from a madmax cook and use it for a later spatch cook, i can get enough gravey from one cook to last 2 more and it freezes really well
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it