Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rack of Pork

Options
Jeepster47
Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
Decided to cook a rack of pork from Costco that was purchased last November and was being saving in the freezer for a special day ... funny how that stuff hides in the freezer.  Cut off two 2" chops last night and cooked them as monster chops to make sure the meat was still good ... it was ... surprised me how good it was.  Today what was left of the rack was coated with a little olive oil, Penzeys Pork Chop Seasoning, a little Penzeys Garlic Powder, and put back in the fridge to mellow.

Went to set up one of the eggs and damn if the oval stone wasn't in the new egg ... which was frozen shut ... top, felt and bottom vent frozen solid.  Out came the Mapp torch and with a light touch the top and bottom vents were open.  Stuck the Mapp touch in the bottom vent and lit the lump ... another plus item for the KAB ... then used a fan to get her up to 350 quickly.  It took 45 minutes at 350 before the felt let loose.  The lightly used OEM BGE seal is like a sponge ... geez.

When the egg was finally open, the pit was topped off with Rockwood and three chunks of pecan.  Then closed the egg up and let it stabilize at 350 degrees. The rack is on now with plans for about two hours before it's done.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Finally! Here we go. I'll be watching Tom. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Awesome looking grub brother. Solid cook :clap: 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Looks great Tom.  

My family complained when I got down in that arena. Not color, but texture. I like it in the 140 range.

Kids also complain about chicken thighs vs breast for the same reason. Same kids eat sushi, escargot....go figure.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    A+++++. The pics tell the story, juicy!!!! I like your temp right there myself. Great job Tom. 
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @theyolksonyou ... with that size of meat, I'm sure the temp ran up to ~147 degrees after it was pulled.  That's a safe zone to offer to the missus ... safe for me that is.

• Jeepster47
    Options
    I ended up with three vac sealed packages of pork in the freezer.  Didn't want them to lose any moisture, so sealed them while the meat was still warm.  Good/bad/okay?

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Love the Grub! Great cook!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I would eat the hell outta dat!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    edited November 2015
    Options

And you were giving me hell about a skimpy looking plate?!

Seriously, good looking pork. Nice work sir. 
  • Jeepster47
    Options

And you were giving me hell about a skimpy looking plate?!

Seriously, good looking pork. Nice work sir. 
    That plate was for the missus ... petite with a small appetite to match.

Fair call out though.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I ended up with three vac sealed packages of pork in the freezer.  Didn't want them to lose any moisture, so sealed them while the meat was still warm.  Good/bad/okay?
    No prob vac sealing while warm. Drop them in an ice bath to cool as quickly as possible if you can. Then freeze for future.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words guys. 

@DMW ... will plan on doing that next time.  Thanks.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Nicely done.  I wait all year for Costco to carry these. Reminds me that I need to get one. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.