Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

40-day aged naked eye of round

Options
Canugghead
Canugghead Posts: 11,529
edited November 2015 in Off Topic
My second attempt at beef carpaccio, texture is better (more even dryness) than previous attempt at 30 days.
No seasoning, no dry bag, left on top shelf of spare fridge, near freezer air inlet since Oct 12:

The dark band has jerky texture, bonus!

Same simple Ponzu sauce:
http://culinairemagazine.ca/recipes/beef-carpaccio-ponzu-sauce-and-radishes

Letting the unfinished chunk age for at least another week. Thanks for looking and thanks to the two forum members who helped me out on my first attempt  :)
canuckland

Comments

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Good stuff

you are one step away from breasola

if you cure it with heavy herbs a couple weeks (in two stages), then hang to dry at room temp for a couple weeks, you will never look back

need to slice as thin as possible (like you have with this)

i use the same cut. Eye round. 

Looks great man
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Canugghead
    edited November 2015
    Options
    @Darby_Crenshaw - Thanks, must confess I'll need to google 'breasola' just like I did on 'carpaccio'  :)  
    Too lazy to haul out the heavy slicer, so I hand sliced and got several broken pieces, no big deal.
    Not so sure about room temp this time of year though (with furnace running). I guess the uninsulated cold cellar in the basement with do?
    canuckland
  • Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Options
    Looks great @Canugghead . Always great posts.
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Yeah. Basement beef. 

I don't know if the recipe is googleable. It wasn't well known in the states a while back

Polcyn/Ruhlman may have it

Rulman calls for pink salts instead of just salt, but I am pretty sure it is less about safety (we're dealing with whole muscle meat here, no need for nitrates) than it is about color and texture (like with ham).

i will try to find some old pics and a recipe tomorrow when i sit down to 'work'
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    I like it!  :)
    Looks great!
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • Canugghead
    edited November 2015
    Options

@Sammi , @Durangler Thanks, I'm still learning!
    Darby_Crenshaw   - Thanks for the suggestion, I found bresaola recipe in Ruhlman/Polcyn's Charcuterie and guess what, no pink salt hence no hassle with converting canuck's Ready Cure dosage to pink salt equivalent. They also call for eye of round, no more than 3" diameter.  Now I have to hunt for juniper berries ... I know a canuck who uses it ;)
    canuckland
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    No pink salts? Interesting. I swear his early recipe had it, because it made me wonder why, being whole muscle. 

You'll end up with three pounder after trimming.  Rake off the silver skin too. And you should tie it to keep it round, altjough they always seem to go triangular on me!

• Canugghead
    Options
    I just checked again, yup no pink salts. I've seen some recipes that involve soaking in red wine though, Ruhlman doesn't, what gives?  Thanks also for explaining the reason for tying, I was wondering why tie a piece of whole muscle meat! 

canuckland
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Beautiful!  I'd eat it all day either way!  
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga