Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brine or not

Options
I'm using BGE Turkey Cheat Sheet. It doesn't mention brining the turkey. Is it necessary?

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Most turkeys are already brined. If it says something along the lines of "contains 8% water and spices" it's brined. 

Welcome to he forum. 
  • cwd1952
    Options
    Thx. Says 4% water, salt and spices. I'll take it then it's brined. Appreciate the help. 
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I do mine, but I use a fresh turkey and do it for favor.  3/4 cup of brown sugar, 2/3-3/4 cup of kosher salt per gallon is your basic brine then add what you want for flavoring.  Oak Ridge makes a brine mix that is pretty good.  I am doing the above and a 1/4 cup of Oak Ridge's Santa Maria rub with some beer for a but 24 hours, rinse, dry and set in the fridge for 24 hours.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    cwd1952 said:
    Thx. Says 4% water, salt and spices. I'll take it then it's brined. Appreciate the help. 

I have a fresh 18 pound Butterball that says the same thing 4% and I will spatch and brine it, I also do a good rinse and re soak in fresh water for 30 minutes then pat dry and season and cook indirect at 400, it comes out juicy every time. 
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE