Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first smoked ham. Used egrets

Comments

• Cooked at 250 until internal temp was around 145.  8#, took about 3.5 to 4 hours.
  • Nice Jack!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Looks great.   I love ham.
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Nice job
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Did my third one today and each time people ask about how I seasoned it. This time I did the black pepper and opted for Dizzy Dust instead of individual seasonings and still got sensational reviews!
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Forever LSU!
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Cooked at 250 until internal temp was around 145.  8#, took about 3.5 to 4 hours.
    Did you have it on the grid with drip pan underneath, or placed in a pan on the grid? Thanks,,, looks awesome!
  • Directly on the grate, flat side down, with drip pan on plate setter underneath.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Was it a fresh ham or pre-smoked?  I have a 15.5 pound fresh ham sitting a brine cure for Thanksgiving.  I may have taken a little to much fat off of it, but 
    I think I will be ok.  I'm trying to figure out my timing for dinner at 12:30.  I also have a 20 pound turkey to smoke with it.  Thinking of putting it on at midnight, would that be to soon you think?
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Was it a fresh ham or pre-smoked?  I have a 15.5 pound fresh ham sitting a brine cure for Thanksgiving.  I may have taken a little to much fat off of it, but 
    I think I will be ok.  I'm trying to figure out my timing for dinner at 12:30.  I also have a 20 pound turkey to smoke with it.  Thinking of putting it on at midnight, would that be to soon you think?

It was already smoked/cooked.  I can't answer your other questions, as I'm new to using an egg.  Prior to buying an egg I had a plain charcoal grill and  would occasionally grill steak, boneless chicken breasts, and hot dogs.  This is all new to me and I'm having a blast trying different things.

What is brining?  I've heard of it, but I'm not sure I know what it is.  Why is it done?  What is the purpose?  Are you suppose to brine everything you cook in the egg?

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Was it a fresh ham or pre-smoked?  I have a 15.5 pound fresh ham sitting a brine cure for Thanksgiving.  I may have taken a little to much fat off of it, but 

It was already smoked/cooked.  I can't answer your other questions, as I'm new to using an egg.  Prior to buying an egg I had a plain charcoal grill and  would occasionally grill steak, boneless chicken breasts, and hot dogs.  This is all new to me and I'm having a blast trying different things.

What is brining?  I've heard of it, but I'm not sure I know what it is.  Why is it done?  What is the purpose?  Are you suppose to brine everything you cook in the egg?

Brining is to add flavor and some extra mositure.   A basic brine would be a gallon of water, 1 cup of brown sugar,  3/4 to 1 cup of kosher salt or pickling salt and some seasonings.  With ham you would also add curing salt to give the home flavor.   Turkey, chicken and pork do well with brining.   You don't have to brine everything you cook on the egg.  I could go into more detail,  but I have to get some sleep. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.