Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cool weather - Carne Adovada

Options
SciAggie
SciAggie Posts: 6,481
We have some cool weather and I felt like cooking something savory and spicy - so I'm trying some carne Adovada for the first time on the egg.
I picked up a nine pound pork butt at the grocer. After trimming and removing the bone I probably had eight pounds of meat. I sliced it into 2" slabs. These I seared over a hot fire with some large mesquite chunks. After searing, I let the meat rest while I closed off the egg a bit. I put in the platesetter and closed the vents to shoot for a 250-300 degree fire.
I found a recipe that sounded good and whipped up a sauce from some dried chilies. After softening some onions, I threw the meat in the Dutch oven and added my chili sauce. I'll let this simmer along until it's tender - I have no clue how long this will take. I have a lot of meat there. I post the finale when it happens. 

Coleman, Texas
Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
"Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                      YukonRon

Comments