Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Double smoking a ham?

Options
I'm relatively new to cooking on the egg.  I got it first part of September.  So far I've cooked hamburgers, steak, sausage links, and chicken breasts on it. 

I want to try smoking a ham for Thanksgiving.  A couple of weeks ago, I practiced smoking by smoking a couple of whole chickens.  It totally ruined drip pan and made my egg black inside.  I used apple wood chunks.

Now I want to double smoke a ham for Thanksgiving.  Has anybody here done this and have any suggestions on how to go about doing this?  Temps, preparation, length of time, etc...

Thanks,
J.

Comments

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    I have been curious about this as well
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    My kamado is black inside too. I mainly cook at lower temps so mine stays nice and black.

Sorry never cooked a ham but I'm sure you will get some good advice. 
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Most hams are fully cooked, so essentially you're just reheating them, take them to 140 IT indirect at 350 and you should be good to go. Use what ever wood you like for smoke (Apple seems  most popular for pork)
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    ^ +1
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    You're egg is black inside?  It's ruined!
    NOLA
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Egret ham. Do a search on the forum, do the cook, thank me later. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited November 2015
    Options
    nm
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Wylecyot
    Wylecyot Posts: 203
    Options
    @SGH posted some tips for smoking a ham back around Easter.  I have smoked many over the years, all have turned out moist and tasty.  The recipe below has never failed me.  In fact, it's earned me a couple of awards! 

I cook indirect around 250 degrees for about 15 to 20 min per pound.  I baste the ham with a mixture of:
    - 1 cup OJ
    -1/4 cup sugar
    - 2 teaspoons cinnamon
    - 2 teaspoons nutmeg
    - 1 teaspoon ground cloves. 
    I usually baste every 30 minutes or so.  Since I'm dealing with pre-cooked hams, my target temp is 135 degrees. 

I then coat with a good raw sugar such as turbinado sugar and a good dusting of Dizzy Pig Pineapple Head.  (You can skip the Dizzy Pig, but the essential ingredient is the raw sugar).  I continue to cook for another 15-30 minutes until the sugar hardens into a shell around the ham.  Let it rest and serve. 

You won't be disappointed!
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr, 36" Blackstone Griddle Blackstone Tailgater and Roccbox owner/operator from Los Angeles
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited November 2015
    Options
    @mickey - does a naked ham that is unreal. It lets the ham taste like ham. The recipe is sugar maple smoke only, nothing else.  This is absolutely the best ham I have ever made.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    NAKED HAM / SMOKE ONLY

Let me start that for the past 6 years i have only cooked Egerts Ham (this is an outstanding ham Egged on the BGE). 

A short while ago went looking for (did not know this at the time) a naked ham / smoke only.  Looking at other ways to do a ham w/o the burbon, maple syrup, brown sugar, NO ANYTHING. Guys this was outstanding ham. It tasted like ham. It was a 7 lb Cooks ham (shank) and NOTHING was put on it (Nothing). Just smoke: lots of Sugar Maple. Cooked at 300 till 135. I did score the ham deep. Cooked indirect.
    New item: just did spiral and worked out fine.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    @Mickey  - did you eat the skin or toss it?

I did a big skin on pork belly the other night and the skin was pretty god, until I found a couple nipples - that seemed off-putting... =)
  • Mickey
    Options

I did a big skin on pork belly the other night and the skin was pretty god, until I found a couple nipples - that seemed off-putting... =)
    If my wife is not around I eat it. Super good. If she is around we toss it, seems it's bad for you :o
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options

Never had smoked nipples!! Lol

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    I have to trim the nipples off the belly skin. Something about nipple cracklings....
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Nipplephobe!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Nipplephobe!
    I just like em soft and supple!
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Not pert brother yolk? ;)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    That's a fresh or green ham mickey

dude (OP) has a regular cured and smoked ham
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Mickey
    Options
    That's a fresh or green ham mickey

dude (OP) has a regular cured and smoked ham
    Not fresh. It's a cured ham. You are just resmokeing it. Same thing works with resmokeing ham hocks, but I go fresh ham hocks and they are so very good. 
    Just freeze them. 

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Yours has skin on. No one is buying a cured ham commercially which had the skin on it 

i happen to know a thing or two about ham ;)
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Jackster21
    Options
    I found the egret ham recipe.  Sounds easy enough.  Just make up that paste, put it on there, stick it in the fridge overnight, and then cook at 250 until the inside is 140.  Should I score it before I add the paste to it?  I will be trying this on Saturday.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I found the egret ham recipe.  Sounds easy enough.  Just make up that paste, put it on there, stick it in the fridge overnight, and then cook at 250 until the inside is 140.  Should I score it before I add the paste to it?  I will be trying this on Saturday.
    I have enjoyed that recipe for years and here's the trick I have learned. While scoring will help the paste to grab just the same it will have a tendency to liquify and merely run off the ham! Instead what I always do now is using a sharp knife I trim off the entire outer most layer of skin. That reveals the white or nearly white fan layer and the glaze will adhere to that just fine! Good luck and enjoy the accolades you will receive from this tasty ham!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    And egret's ham costs less than $10,000 to prepare!

seriously though, you can't go wrong with mickey's naked ham, the double smoked, or egret's. All good

• HendersonTRKing
    Options
    So I've been thinking of doing a ham for the next big family gathering in December . . . and didn't know the first thing about it.  Of course I find this great thread and now I've got the basics.  

Am I nuts to think it's kind of like cheating to put a fully cooked ham on the egg, glaze it up and serve it?  Seems way too easy.  

I'm going to think on this a while . . . is it @Mickey or @egret ??  Seems like there's no wrong answer.  Any idea how long the NakedMickey ham might take to get done?  That might sway me some.  Plus the idea of taking something not cooked and cooking it.  I dunno.  
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Mickey
    Options
    So I've been thinking of doing a ham for the next big family gathering in December . . . and didn't know the first thing about it.  Of course I find this great thread and now I've got the basics.  

Am I nuts to think it's kind of like cheating to put a fully cooked ham on the egg, glaze it up and serve it?  Seems way too easy.  

I'm going to think on this a while . . . is it @Mickey or @egret ??  Seems like there's no wrong answer.  Any idea how long the NakedMickey ham might take to get done?  That might sway me some.  Plus the idea of taking something not cooked and cooking it.  I dunno.  
    300 till 135 and ready. 8 lbs 120/130 mins

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited November 2015
    Options

@HendersonTRKing I don't really think it is cheating. It is just like getting something like a honey baked ham and heating it in the oven, but instead using the egg for a little more flavor. However, if you really want to do something special you could cure your own ham then cook it on the egg. @NPHuskerFL had a good post on doing this from start to finish with a fresh ham here.

Edit: Another good post from Cen-tex here.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Thanks @SmokeyPitt

that Cen-tex ham looks like da bomb. If I can get the cut from my butcher that's what I'll do. 

Really appreciate the intel!!!!
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options

Brother this is one time that I have to say that if it is cheating, then I don't mind being a cheater. The precooked hams are outstanding off of a smoker with a little extra smoke. The beauty of them is they save precious time. This can be very beneficial around the holidays when everything is already hectic and you are pressed for time. You don't have to bother with curing and cooking, you simply warm them with a gentle smoke. The result is spectacular. Hey I still enjoying curing hams occasionally when time allows. But for a quick fix the spiral precooked hams are hard to beat for a quick, easy and cheap meal. Especially if you hit them with a little smoke. Curing and cooking a green ham takes a few days. You can cut this to only a few hours by using the precooked hams. I won't try to argue or debate which is best as I like them both. But when time is short the precooked hams is the way to go. You really owe it to yourself to try one off of the smoker. It may change the way you think about it being cheating. They are simply awesome. They are so easy to prepare and are so good that we make them all throughout the year. Not just on the holidays. Give them a try my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• HendersonTRKing
    Options
    SGH said:

Brother this is one time that I have to say that if it is cheating, then I don't mind being a cheater. The precooked hams are outstanding off of a smoker with a little extra smoke. The beauty of them is they save precious time. This can be very beneficial around the holidays when everything is already hectic and you are pressed for time. You don't have to bother with curing and cooking, you simply warm them with a gentle smoke. The result is spectacular. Hey I still enjoying curing hams occasionally when time allows. But for a quick fix the spiral precooked hams are hard to beat for a quick, easy and cheap meal. Especially if you hit them with a little smoke. Curing and cooking a green ham takes a few days. You can cut this to only a few hours by using the precooked hams. I won't try to argue or debate which is best as I like them both. But when time is short the precooked hams is the way to go. You really owe it to yourself to try one off of the smoker. It may change the way you think about it being cheating. They are simply awesome. They are so easy to prepare and are so good that we make them all throughout the year. Not just on the holidays. Give them a try my friend. 
    Our gathering is on the 21st, so I've got the "luxury" of time (even during the hectic holiday season) to take the long and winding road. I'm going to follow the @NPHuskerFL recipe, although I may switch up the glaze a bit.  I'll be in that thinking/considering/obsessing mode for a few days, but I'm looking forward to taking this project on.  Never cured anything before, never have done anything to a ham other than purchase, warm in the oven and let the spiral slices do their thing.  

SWMBO thinks I'm nuts, but she gave me the egg and has no standing to give any comments that are less than 100% supportive.
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    The best double smoked I've done was by using a recipe called "Dr. Chicken's Double Smoked Ham." A fair amount of work, glazes and injections, maybe 12 or more different flavors added together. But ridiculously good.

Note, there's one version floating around the web where quantity for the orange flavor component is mis-sized.