Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Turkey - Practice for next week

Options
Sonny3
Sonny3 Posts: 455
edited November 2015 in EggHead Forum
Cooked a practice turkey today with a very simple style just to try it out.  Turkey is about 14.5lbs.  Cleaned and let dry in the fridge.  Covered it in a stick of melted butter and covered generously with Pork U - Garlic 101.  I liked the look of the spices in it for turkey. Also added a couple of fist sized chunks of Pecan based on a recommendation.  It is resting now for tasting in a bit.

The egg at 350, platesetter and roasting pan (no liquid) with rack sitting on the raised grate.

Three pics so far. 1) when I just put it on, 2) about half way through and 3) finished.  Took about 4 hours checking the temps in legs, thighs and breasts.

Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.

Comments

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Looks good.  Thanks!!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    looks awesome to me
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Sonny3
    Sonny3 Posts: 455
    Options
    Thanks guys.  And yes it was GOOD.  It was a very simple cook as I didn't do a lot of extra like brining, liquid in the pan, etc.  But the hint of the Pecan smoke was just perfect.  My wife said to not change a thing for the feast next week.  It was moist, the skin was crispy and delicious.
    Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Cherry Wood
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Looks great!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I did two for my wife's luncheon this am.  I'm ready!!

• LDR
    LDR Posts: 414
    Options
    Did you have anything in the cavity?  I ran a 20 pound bird at 350 grid indirect this week, and it was done in three hours.
  • cazzy
    edited November 2015
    Options
    LDR said:
    Did you have anything in the cavity?  I ran a 20 pound bird at 350 grid indirect this week, and it was done in three hours.
    The two i did were 18#'s. Took about 2.75 hours at 350 to get happy.  Nothing in the cavity.