Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gonna work thanksgiving. Need advice on minimax cook.

Options
MaC122
MaC122 Posts: 797
edited November 2015 in EggHead Forum
So I'm a firefighter and we work 24 hours on 48 hours off. I decided to work thanksgiving for a fellow buddy so he can be with his family. Its a small station with only 2 of us. I guess my question is....what should I cook? I was thinking a standing rib roast.  I'm open to anything.
St. Johns County, Florida

Comments

• Braggart
    Braggart Posts: 238
    Options
    I've had the most success spatchcocking a chicken on the MMax.    Quick, easy, bullet proof.   

I use a woo/stone/drip pan combo.   Cook indirect at 400F.  45 mins.  Tent under foil for 5-10 mins.  Dinner for 2. 

If you have access to a gasser, a combo of yams, squash, garlic pcs, all tossed in olive oil, s&p, spread over a tray with parchment paper makes a a quick side as well.   Just watch the heat (low around 300F) and stir frequently. 

My nickel (used to be 2 cents, but we got rid of the penny.  Everyone else rounds up...)

B
    Large BGE
    MMax BGE
    Weber gasser
    3 Dogs
    No neighbours 
    Living in Canada's bush
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Standing rib roast YES!  It's such a treat!  A few different options on whether more garlic, more horseradish or Rosemary.  Search recipes and cook it!  Such an amazing treat brother! And, thank you for all you do!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    You had me at standing rib roast. Some horseraddish and ajus. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • bgebrent
    Options
    @northGAcock, we fell on the same page brother!
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    Never done a rib roast, but you can easily do a whole spatchcock chicken on there.

or fire up you and your fellow foremen a couple thick and juicy steaks!
  • bgebrent
    Options
    @slovelad, you detract from a better cook for our first responder.  Listen harder.
  • MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    edited November 2015
    Options
    The best horseradish sauce ive ever made was simple. You put horseradish with equal parts sour cream and fresh lemon juice. Salt and pepper and put in the freezer.  Don't freeze it, just till the point its almost frozen. Amazing with beef
    St. Johns County, Florida
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Stay somewhat traditional but GOOD. Turkey wings & legs. 400 direct & raised. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Standing rib roast is awesome.  Thinking on the MM you might want to go with a boneless rib roast.  @Mickey 's wings look awesome.  Along those lines you could do other turkey parts.  I bet you could get a 12-15 lb bird and "half ****" and then cook one half at a time. 

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/halfc.htm

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    Ted Reader has a great garlic paste recipe to use with a standing rib roast. Do a quick YouTube search for the video.