Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What to do with cracked BGE XL base? Replacement arrived...

Options
My BGE XL base cracked.  BGE is awesome.  Took pictures to my local seller and received replacement from BGE mothership within few weeks.

I just don't know what to do with extra BGE XL base.  Still functional, but worried with crack.  

YOUR THOUGHTS.....

Comments

• Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    ^^^+1. Plant herbs...
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    Or you could bury it and make a nice fire pit. 
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I would use it until no longer a viable option and then if still like a pot place in garder for plants.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I'm the odd man out here but I would use it as a dedicated grill. Would be awesome for putting the final sear on your indirect or two part cooks. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    SGH said:
    I'm the odd man out here but I would use it as a dedicated grill. Would be awesome for putting the final sear on your indirect or two part cooks. 
    I agree ! Why use it as an overpriced flour pot? I could see that if it had a big hole in the bottom, but why not use it as an open faced blazing hot searing machine?
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Not sure it's worth it from the safety standpoint.  Odds of an accident are small, but why risk it?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• TxAggie
    Options
    I had a similar problem but much smaller hairline crack in mine.  I am trying to find a used top for it make a Franken-Egg. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    Personally, I frown on Frankeneggs.  If it was damaged enough you felt the need to replace it, then you shouldn't use it as an egg.

SGHs idea of just a sear station is pretty cool.  Then you are repurposing it.  Small, but critical difference.

Thats just me though, sometimes my moral compass goes all wonky.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,753
    Options
    fire pit/ open grill.  would probably get a steel band to hold the top together. then make a flat table top to use as a side table when not in use
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Not sure it's worth it from the safety standpoint.  Odds of an accident are small, but why risk it?
    I agree with you.
    Not to mention the lump you would waste just to sear as you would not have the ability to close the dome and snuff the fire. I guess you could use a large metal trash can lid.lol
    I like the planter idea. If you rig some kind of a lower band replacement to hold the top together to help prevent further cracking and stress it should last several seasons. I have a large base replacement that fits the same plan.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    I wouldn't feel right about continuing to use old one while keeping the warranty replacement in garage for "some day". I threw away my cracked base/ring/box even though they were still "~functional".  BGE treats us well with the warranty, I won't abuse the process. Some dealers (mine), even want the old parts. (it was a real hassle). Now I don't have any qualms about using for a flower pot or fire pit and think that is a great idea. 

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Same thing happened to me.  I found a used XL dome and now am searching for a used xl firebox.  I may end up jsut spending the money.   But i will add the crack my xl has is hairline.  Ill seal it up with some ceramic cement and use it as an extra low and slow cooker