Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Pricing

Options
logchief
logchief Posts: 1,415
I've only done one brisket so far, mainly because I fell in love with the whole Chuck Ribs.  I was just at a local meat market here in Fresno, CA for some beef rub they carry and happened to check out their brisket prices.  They had huge Choice flats for $6.99 (sounds over the top) and whole Prime packers for $4.99 which sounded a little more reasonable.

I asked the butcher about that pricing and he said the flats were in much higher demand.  What do they run at Costco in TX, Costco doesn't carry brisket here.

Restaurant Depot has their "Superior Angus Beef" but I can't seem to find any info on where it equates to the USDA grading.  The pricing there as I recall is around $4 for that grade brisket. I get my chuck ribs there and they're the same grade and have been damn good, but it's been the only place I can find them and they were about the same price.
LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 

Comments

• shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    Options
    in NC I'm paying $6.49# for prime and $5.49# for angus. Last time I checked choice was $4.29#

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,330
    Options
    Butchered flats are always more $$.  Takes more effort to slice and dice.  Here in the L'ville area straight up flats at the local Kroger (choice) have been running $5.99/lb for a good 18 months or more while the Costco prime packers have been as high as $4.29/lb but recently at $3.79/lb.  
    I believe the tossed points become burger meat or corned beef if the time is right. FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    Options
    Here in NE PA brisket is $6.50, give or take. I think it was $5.99 at Sam's last I looked.

That is ridiculous. If I'm going to pay $70 for 11lbs of choice, I'll spend the extra $40 and get the Kobe from SRF on sale.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I was at Restaurant Depot yesterday in Philadelphia and the SAB packer briskets were just a little over $3/pound.

Superior Angus Beef is a proprietary "grade" of beef for Restaurant Depot only.  They will tell you that it is "upper choice" but is not normally graded by USDA.  It usually sells for a small premium to their USDA Choice cuts. I have always been happy with all the meat I have purchased at RD and have bought SAB and Choice from them.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I paid $2.69# for choice Angus packer yesterday at Sams (MN)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • logchief
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments and especially @Shiff for the input on RD SAB.  I think next brisket will be one from RD, I gotta go there to get more of the whole chuck short ribs anyway.
  • logchief
    edited November 2015
    Options

lousubcap said:
    Butchered flats are always more $$.  Takes more effort to slice and dice.  Here in the L'ville area straight up flats at the local Kroger (choice) have been running $5.99/lb for a good 18 months or more while the Costco prime packers have been as high as $4.29/lb but recently at $3.79/lb.  
    I believe the tossed points become burger meat or corned beef if the time is right. FWIW-
    From my limited brisket experience, they're throwing away the best part.  To bad Costco in central CA won't carry brisket, they say they don't get any call for it, everybody around here buys bulk tri tip there.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    1st time I've ever seen them in utah....prime packer for 2.69 a lb.  only had 2 to choose from but i snagged up the floppier of the 2.

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    I finally found Choice packers around me for $4.50/lbs. from an Amish market. 
    The food stores and butchers all charge $9 around here and my Costco, also pricey, only has flats.  
    LBGE/Maryland
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,170
    Options
    Do yourself a favor and pick up a SRF brisket while they are on sale. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I admit it, I've drunk the koolaid.  Angus Brisket from RD @ 3.09/lb.  Love it
    Phoenix 
  • ceramic_cooker
    Options
    $2.89 /lb for Prime packer at Plano, TX Costco
  • logchief
    Options
    Thanks for all the input.  @DoubleEggerI'd love to do a SRF, but then I'd be way to spoiled or I'd spoil it.  I think I'll take @blasting's advice and pick up one at RD when I get the Chuck Ribs.  Or make a Costco run to Plano, TX.
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    I started buying the SRF's because I went to RD four or five times and couldn't ever find a decent CAB brisket. Super thin flats, super thick points, and stiff as a board. Costco doesn't carry packers in Atlanta and butcher shop pricing is as much as SRF. 

You will be spoiled but you won't screw it up. 
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Costco here has prime packers for 2.89/lb
    NOLA
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    Lucky you! 
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I saw this at Wegman's, they are on sale this week $1 off the regular price. It's a decent brisket flat with a small point attached. Some had larger points, this was the one I photographed.

Edit: the photo was huge, in trying to edit it I deleted it. It's not that big a deal anyhow, it's a vac pack 8lb brisket @ $5.49 per. We've all seen them.

• Coastalcooker
    Options
    Publix, when they have flats, are $8.99. For that price I can get steak on sale.
    They do only sell choice which is good.
    Cookin' on the coast
    Shellman Bluff, GA
    Medium BGE

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    $2.89 for Swift Prime Packers at Costco here.  12 to 22 pounds...bought a couple to keep on hand.

Whole Foods has Grass Fed flats for $8.99/lb...thye just look too lean, like they'd be tough, but at least they'd be dry too.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    ...and that's up from $2.39 where they were for months.   But still it's PRIME.
    Options
    Publix, when they have flats, are $8.99. For that price I can get steak on sale.
    They do only sell choice which is good.
    This is why I started buying SRF. Basically the same price. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I can buy boneless ribeye subprimals for around $9/lb.