Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: No I did not shoot Village Idot. Yet!

Options
A couple of Eggheads have ask what is keeping me off the forum. This summer Gary (VI) got me interested into shooting. Have spent a lot of time in the indoor (air conditioning) ranges. As well as lots of $$ renting handguns trying to decide what I wanted. While this was going on I picked up my CHL. My thoughts if VI has one, I want one. Just glad we were not riding Vespa's and had to get a pink Vespa. 
Just bought two new (Linda would only stand still for two) guns. She thinks the 4 Eggs is overkill. 
For the CHL a SigSauer P238 (.380). And for the house HK VP9 (9mm). I have learned that ammo cost more than lump. Now VI has offered to teach me to reload. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Nice weapons.  Remind me not to piss you or Gary off!
    Options
    Beautiful!
    22 in Macon, GA - Large BGE 2015
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Mickey
    Brother I'm glad to hear this. Of all my hobbies and interest, guns and shooting are number one. Glad to see you getting into the game as well. Enjoy yourself my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Some folks from the 'bigger is better' school will be critical of your choice of a .380.

the simple fact of the matter is that the best carry piece is one that you are comfortable carrying and that you shoot well.

if anyone tells you that isn't enough gun to stop someone reliably, ask if you can shoot them, just once.  They can even pick where they want the bullet.

good that you are practicing a lot - you can't afford to not practice.  Practice your concealed draw often as well, be sure to keep your off hand anchored so you don't sweep it with the muzzle on the draw.

be safe.

when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    ...and practice noticing what's behind whatever you're shooting at.
    I'm glad you're enjoying your new hobby.  I looked at the Sig when I decided to pocket carry and I liked it.  But I listened to my inner cheapskate who gave me bad advice and I bought a Keltec .380.  Not long after that disappointment, I fell into a Kahr PM9, a single stack 9mm.  Fits in my pocket and shoots like a dream.  I'm thinking about getting a Glock 19 for the house for higher capacity & 9mm ammo is cheap.  Right now I have a S&W 686 .357 magnum.

Say "Hi" to VI from us goofballs, eh?
    Flint, Michigan
  • SGH
    Options
    Right now I have a S&W 686 .357 magnum.

A sound and proven weapon/caliber combination. I have one with a 6" barrel that stays on the head board of my bed. In a heated rush, it brings a lot to the table. I like semi autos as well as anyone. But there is just something special about a big, powerful revolver. I never leave home or go to bed without it. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    Options
    I have a S&W .357 magnum on a holster on my headboard.  After the raccoon invasion, I thought it appropriate.
    Options
    Remember, the most powerful weapon you possess is resting on the top of your neck.   This may not be true in all cases.
    Options
    Remember, the most powerful weapon you possess is resting on the top of your neck
    If the above is true, I'm in trouble my friend ;)

Status- Standing by.

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    thats the rockwood of ammo
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Small world, isn't it? Hubby just got me the S&W M686 Plus 7 shot. Sweet little number.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • SGH
    Options
    Dredger said:
    Small world, isn't it? Hubby just got me the S&W M686 Plus 7 shot. Sweet little number.
    It's the little things like this that make you one of my forum favorites sister. 

Status- Standing by.

• leemschu
    leemschu Posts: 609
    Options
    Getting into reloading will cost you. I started last year and about $2000 later I have it just like I want it. I don't reload for pistol because the cost plus time are not worth the savings to me but 308 ammo you can save a boat load and have more accuracy.
    Dyersburg, TN
  • Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    Options
    Nice guns! My first was a Sig SP2022. Bigger isn't always better their is a reason why cops are moving to a 9mm.

http://www.tactical-life.com/firearms/7-reasons-cops-choose-9mm-40/
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    It's the little things like this that make you one of my forum favorites sister.

Lol, @SGH, when he picked this one up, he told the gun shop owner that it was for his wife. The owner asked him if he was crazy. Gotta get to the range sometime this week to fire her off. My daddy taught me how to shoot a shotgun when I was 7 and it's been on ever since. Good hobby to have.

Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Davec433 said:
    Nice guns! My first was a Sig SP2022. Bigger isn't always better their is a reason why cops are moving to a 9mm.

http://www.tactical-life.com/firearms/7-reasons-cops-choose-9mm-40/
    I concur.
    Options
    Hadn't thought of it until reading this thread ... there is a lot in common between reloading and cooking on the egg ... well, except for the alcohol involved in egging. 

First is doing the background research for what ever it is you're going to cook up/reload; gathering the ingredients/components; getting into the "zone" while egging/reloading; tasting/testing the results; adjusting the ingredients/components a little; re-sampling/testing the results ... and finally settling on the perfect combinations for your tastes/firearms.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    Buy lots of ammo now while its cheap, election will drive up prices again. 22 is still priced ridiculously from the last scare. If Hillary gets in, there will be another panic. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • nolaegghead
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I think reloading is, unless you do nothing but shoot guns, is an exercise akin to "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance".  You do it under the guise of saving money, but it is more than that. 
    Options
    Dobie said:
    Buy lots of ammo now while its cheap, election will drive up prices again. 22 is still priced ridiculously from the last scare. If Hillary gets in, there will be another panic. 
    I love watching the idiots that believe all this nonsense.
    Options
    Dobie said:
    Call me an idiot all you want but Im a shooter and keep my eye on ammo and gun prices for many years and the political parties influence is real tripling prices on ammo . Guns are expensive clubs without ammo. Hillarys not even in yet and spouting off about more gun control. Troll on ....
    Jacksonville FL
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I'm not calling you an idiot unless you send chain mails to everyone you know perpetuating the self-perpetuating, self prophesying end-result of market prices increasing by virtue of rhetoric-based paranoia and fear.

That said, I'm commenting on the masses and the helpfulness they en masse on the profits of ammo manufacturers.
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I don't cause the panic Nola and I have stockpiles to get me through the cycles. I buy cheap and stack it deep. Just see allot of new shooters spending lots of money on guns an too little on ammo.  Im not the guy flipping ammo for profit or buying during any panic, quite the opposite. Just pointing out that ammo prices except 22 LR are low right now and a good time to buy it If youre a shooter that uses thier weapons. If you dont shoot that 50 round box will last you a lifetime but for me it lasts a few minutes at the range. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    Options
    I wonder how much the firearm and ammo industry made off the hysteria of Democrats=Gun Confiscation. We're starting to see some states limit sales and talk about taxing sales but it would be extremely costly to attempt to confiscate people guns.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    No one is going to confiscate any guns.  At the most, they'll do more background checks and maybe regulate some assault weapons. Horses have left the barn and the US is too conservative to let what happened in Australia occur here.

I'm just laughing because the people that buy more ammo when the price is high because of paranoia are, in my mind, winning an economic Darwin award.
    I'm going to try to get to the range this weekend.  I've been itching to fire my Dad's Colt 1911A1.  
    Flint, Michigan
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Good to hear from you, Mickey. Been wondering about ya.

My brother in law has that Sig and its a fun gun to shoot. I've got a Kahr 9mm. The only handgun I have, but far from the only gun I have. Next you'll be getting a shotgun and taking up trap or skeet. Way more fun shooting at moving targets. ;)

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Dobie said:
    I enjoyed it also until I wanted to buy a couple thousand rounds of .22 for my plinkers.

What's funnier is that Obama has not (and will not) done one single thing to tighten any rules regarding gun ownership. Just the opposite actually. He has signed two laws that actually expanded peoples rights to carry firearms.

The whole panic was just a clever marketing scheme by the NRA and gun and ammo manufacturers to boost sales and to their credit it worked out amazingly well for them.

You'll see the same marketing scheme take effect if Hillary even gets the Democratic nomination - won't even have to wait to see if she is actually elected Prez. :)

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• FearlessTheEggNoob
    FearlessTheEggNoob Posts: 888
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Mickey said:
    A couple of Eggheads have ask what is keeping me off the forum. This summer Gary (VI) got me interested into shooting. Have spent a lot of time in the indoor (air conditioning) ranges. As well as lots of $$ renting handguns trying to decide what I wanted. While this was going on I picked up my CHL. My thoughts if VI has one, I want one. Just glad we were not riding Vespa's and had to get a pink Vespa. 
    Just bought two new (Linda would only stand still for two) guns. She thinks the 4 Eggs is overkill. 
    For the CHL a SigSauer P238 (.380). And for the house HK VP9 (9mm). I have learned that ammo cost more than lump. Now VI has offered to teach me to reload. 

You might want to check out one of the local IDPA matches once you're completely comfortable with the operation of your 9mm. Haven't gone in a couple years myself, but Mike ran a very welcoming group and it was surprisingly affordable. (in the beginning! lol ) If you've never gone before, expect to uncover a few flaws in your game plan. -that's a good thing.

http://www.texastactical.net/

Gittin' there...