Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salmon - from coast to plate

Options
Filled the freezer earlier this year with west coast table fare...salmon, halibut, crab, prawns, rockfish and lingcod.   As always, a trip of memories that yields bounty that we can enjoy for the rest of the year.  

Here we are now with snow on the ground, no better time to dip into the deep freeze and bring out some salmon. 

Start with a simple marinade of brown sugar, maple syrup, soy sauce, lemon juice, cayenne, garlic powder and s/p. 

Marinade for a couple of hours...flipping fillets half way thru.    (Fillets look choppy underneath as we like to trim some of the fat layer off...dogs like when we trim too, for different reasons though!)

In the meantime, time to grab a cedar plank.    Not just any plank, one freshly cleaved from a coastal "shingle stump".  

"Stumpers" are guys who follow the loggers on the coast and cut the stumps that are left behind after the trees are cut and cleared.  The stumps are collected and used to make cedar shingles.   When we head to our coastal fishing destination on Haida Gwaii, we use rough logging roads to get to our rough beach camp and these shingle stumps can be found in the bush if your lucky enough.   We always pack a couple home for this very reason!

At this point the dogs are following me everywhere....they love salmon.  

Next up, trim the planks to fit the Mini Max and its also time to light the egg.   

Got caught up doing other things while the Mmax got going.  Looked at the temp on one occasion and it read 450F...thought to myself that I'd give it another 5 mins or so...and then lost track of time.   About 30 mins later when it was time to throw the fish on it read 350?   I thought it was odd until I opened the lid...it appears that I wrapped the dial!  Best guess it was over 1000 degrees?   Wow. 

I closed up all the vents and waited...

Once it got down to 550-600, on went the cedar planked salmon.  

The egg was so stoking hot the cedar burst into flame almost immediately.  

I shut the lid, and closed the vents...leaving the daisy wheel cracked a hair to keep the temp around 500.  The smoke was heavy and heavenly. 

Left the salmon on for 5 mins, and cracked the lid.   Perfect.   Pulled from the egg and served on the still smouldering plank. 

Paired with a bottle of Okanagan Gerwertz...

Add some sides (pasta with homemade rose sauce, snap peas sautéed in oil and garlic)....

And everyone was happy!  Well, almost everyone...

How we do it in the far north!

B

Large BGE
MMax BGE
Weber gasser
3 Dogs
No neighbours 
Living in Canada's bush

Comments