Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

VOCs - Charcoal Chimney

Options
My wife and I moved in to our new house this week (have been eggless for 6 months at our apartment!) My heat gun power cord isn't long enough to get the egg started up outside so I swung over to Home Depot and picked up a charcoal chimney that was on discount. It used to take me 40+ min with the heat gun to get clean smoke. With the chimney, it only takes about 10, max.  Have others noticed this? Is it because it gets to top heat so much quicker, it burns through the bad smoke that much quicker? I have been using the same charcoal. 

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    I use a chimney.  It always takes 2+ hours for me to get good smoke.  I use royal oak - what are you using?
    Phoenix 
  • n00b
    n00b Posts: 35
    Options
    Same - royal oak. CDS every once in a while
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    I use RO never noticed an issue, takes 30+ min to get up to temp so that likely solves it.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    If you are using only the charcoal in the chimney, logic says that once you get them going, the VOC's will burn off quickly since they get rip-roaring using this method. 

But if you are adding that to a pile of lump in the egg that is not burning, you will have to get that burned off as well.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    DaveRichardson
    But if you are adding that to a pile of lump in the egg that is not burning, you will have to get that burned off as well.

That would be true of any method. No one fires up all the lump at once. Dumping a blazing hot load of lump will burn off the VOC's pretty quick.