Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Polar Bear coolers Two-fer

Options

Excellent soft sided coolers.  Bought a couple myself and pat myself on the back every time I use them.  Below is a review from Amazon that cracks me up...

I couldn't care less how many sandwiches and yoghurts you can get into a cooler. Coolers are for beer, and beer comes in bottles, so we need an objective review for those who want cold beer.

I've never bought a soft cooler before because they are all, without exception, total and complete junk. Soft coolers don't keep beer (or anything else) cold. So when a friend of mine turned up with one of these things you can imagine how I laughed at him. One boat trip later and I was prepared to admit that he had chosen wisely.

These things are unbelievable. He left his cooler in the sun all day (an amateur mistake) in 90 degree heat, and when we got back his ice was still the same shape as when it went in, just slightly glossier - barely any melting at all, and just a small amount of melt water in the bottom. My cooler (that I constantly moved to keep it in the shade) came back with cold water and a few sad lonely ice cubes floating on top. I kept my share of the beer cold, but I was on the limit. Another hour or two and the beer situation would have become critical.

I've since bought a 12 and a 24 pack cooler, and haven't used my hard coolers since. The 12 pack will comfortably fit 16 bottles of beer, and you can fill the rest of the space with ice. If running out of beer is problem (and lets be honest, when is running out of beer not a problem?) I can get 18 in with a little coercing, although there is less room for ice and you'll struggle a little with the zip (solution: drink one. Problem solved)

The 24 pack will comfortably swallow 26 beers (30 at a pinch). I wouldn't recommend the 48 pack, I don't own one, but the 24 pack with 30 beers and ice is heavy enough. You'd never lift the 48. If you need the capacity I'd suggest two 24 packs.

The only negatives with these coolers is that they don't have a water proof base, so you have to be careful about where you put it (think boats, puddles on the ground etc) and being soft sided, you can't sit on it. But the advantages far outweigh these little problems.

I also love the way they don't look like coolers. You could take one of these to a funeral to down a cold one in the pews and no body would notice. You need never be more than 3 feet from a tasty brew ever again, and It'll always be icy cold.

I've never seen one leak (several of us have them now). The little bottle opener on the zip will break after about 30 bottles, so forget using it, and don't leave them in the sun, being fabric they do fade.
Signal Mountain, TN

Comments

• Hokie_Smoker
    Options
    I bought two last year and gave my dad one as a Christmas present. These are great coolers. I bought the 48 and have had four butts wrapped in towels for 4.5 hours and they stayed over 180 degrees. Great product, great price at 2 for 1.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• lowandslow
    Options
    Thank you for the heads up.  Love these coolers.  Have one myself and bought them for my groomsmen.   Great quality.   
    Hasbrouck Heights, NJ

XL Egg
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited November 2015
    Options
    They are nice coolers. @Mickey turned me on to them. Really like the H20 series.
    I keep one small 12 pack at my office along with a couple "arctic ice" packs in the freezer and one 24 pack in my car most of the time for those great meat deals I might come across at the grocery store. The soft coolers sure have their place as well.
    Their customer service is also outstanding after the sale.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I too love these coolers.  @Photo%20Egg that is a great tip.  I also have one that stays in my vehicle.  Even if I am going straight home it is a nice safe place to store bottles of beer.  Perfect for growlers too.   Obviously you could put any cooler in your car but these are great because you can flatten them out and they hardly take up any room.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Photo Egg
    Options
    TN_Egger said:

The only negatives with these coolers is that they don't have a water proof base
    The H20 series and the other high end series, Eclipse, are made from a different material and they are waterproof.
    I have 2 of the H20 and they are fantastic.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I think this code is for straight up 50% off, rather than just 2 for 1.  Still, I ordered 4 of the 12 packs.  Some people are getting coolers for Christmas.
    NOLA
  • Helmet
    Helmet Posts: 163
    Options
    I live in Southwest Florida, cooler country for sure. After selling my Yeti Roadie (because the damned thing weighed like 14lbs empty) and looking for a good soft cooler for a while, I ran across the posting on here for the last bogo sale they did and ordered one for myself and gave the other away as a gift. The person I gave it to has since ordered 4 more for others and when I sent them the new bogo link they said they are buying two more for gifts this year. I've infiltrated my small town with these things!!! :hang_loose: They ROCK! 
    Medium BGE, Weber Q120 (The traveller)
    "I claim artistic license, it has a good beat, I can dance to it"
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Ordered 2 24s thanks!
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    I was hoping it was for the H2O version. But seems to be only for the nylon. Still a great deal.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Hotch said:
    I was hoping it was for the H2O version. But seems to be only for the nylon. Still a great deal.
    Give them a call Hotch
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Hotch said:
    Give them a call Hotch

I did, no luck since it a newer product. She said maybe next year. 

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Just ordered 2 24's-thanks for the heads-up.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Sucks...H20 was on special last year and they were newer last year.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • RollTideRob
    Options
    Thanks for the code. Picked up 2 of the 24's
    Large, Medium

Heflin, AL
  • outrageous
    Options
    Just ordered 2 of 12's for Christmas presents.  the lady said sale was thru 12-20-15

Large egg and mini max egg plus a Blackstone griddle

South Ga. cooking fool !!!!!!!!

• Wolfie51sb
    Wolfie51sb Posts: 267
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Thanks for the heads-up.

Rob

Columbus, Ohio

• chrisc133
    Options
    12 or 24...can't decide. 
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    chrisc133 said:
    12 or 24...can't decide. 
    Just depends on how much you want to take along with you.
    Filled, the 24 is bulky and heavy. I keep it in my car for grocery store runs.
    The 12 I use to take food to wook for the week and then to bring home what is left at the end of the week. Also great to take some drinks to a party or event. It's small enough not to be a burden to lug around.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    We were going to pull the trigger but I was really hoping it could hold ice and not the ice packs.  Anyone confirm that you can or cannot put ice in these without leaking?
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    You most definitely can load it with ice and drinks.  It will not leak unless it tips over - and then it will probably leak at the zipper.  I sometimes make "cooler corn" in it...fill cooler with boiling water, insert corn, zip it up, wait 30 minutes and viola!  Corn on the cob.
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • 4Runner
    Options
    Code not working.  Wonder if the deal is over. 
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
  • 4Runner
    Options
    Got. You have to have at least 2 coolers.  Got the 12 and 24.  Thanks for posting. 
  • outrageous
    Options
    4Runner said:
    Code not working.  Wonder if the deal is over. 
    Call them on the phone, the lady I talked to yesterday was super nice.  

Large egg and mini max egg plus a Blackstone griddle

South Ga. cooking fool !!!!!!!!

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    I think this code is for straight up 50% off, rather than just 2 for 1.  Still, I ordered 4 of the 12 packs.  Some people are getting coolers for Christmas.
    Played around on the website and it wouldn't let me use the coupon code with only one unit ordered ... change the order count to two units and it went right through.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    Played around on the website and it wouldn't let me use the coupon code with only one unit ordered ... change the order count to two units and it went right through.
    So it takes 50% off of 2, regardless of size combo? That's good to know, I think I want a 12 & 24, getting 50% off is better than just getting the 12 for free. I need to play around some more on the website.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    DMW said:
    So it takes 50% off of 2, regardless of size combo? That's good to know, I think I want a 12 & 24, getting 50% off is better than just getting the 12 for free. I need to play around some more on the website.

Yep, two in any combination.  Looks like a little over $15 (2 12packs) to $16 (2 12packs and 1 24 pack) for shipping costs.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• CurtisMaximus
    Options
    Appreciate the hookup, ordered two 12-packs one for me and one for my brother in law.
    L BGE
  • chrisc133
    Options
    DMW said:
    buzd504 said:

Hmm. One of each for myself or give one as a Christmas gift...decisions decisions 
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I got two 12s and two 24s last year.   Gifted one each away, and they are all still going strong.   
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Mine arrived yesterday. Gonna open it up tonight. Find a reason to use one this weekend.